Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to share!
Position: Implementation Research Consultant (Gender Norms Transformation)
About the job
IREX seeks a qualified implementation research consultant for the global, cross-sectoral USAID Youth Excel (YE) Activity. Youth Excel has designed and is applying an approach to using implementation research to strengthen cross-sectoral positive youth development programming, help youth-led and youth-serving organizations use implementation research, and synthesize and promote findings broadly.
With the USAID Office of Population and Reproductive Health (PRH), Youth Excel will support a local partner to co-lead the contextualization, implementation, learning agenda, and program strengthening of a gender transformative program for young men.
The Implementation Research Consultant will serve as Youth Excel’s Tanzania-based representative. This includes: day-to-day workplan management, ensuring that activities are appropriately contextualized, and on track; day-to-day support to the local partner (see detail below); liaising with local stakeholders; working with the global Youth Excel team; and ensuring appropriate internal and external communications and monitoring and reporting. The Implementation Research Consultant will also provide technical assistance and co-leadership in stakeholder engagement, safeguarding, research learning, adaptation, and knowledge production throughout implementation with the local partner. Supported by Youth Excel global and regional experts, the Implementation Research Consultant will use Youth Excel’s implementation research approach and tools.
Additionally, the Implementation Research Consultant will co-lead the development and submission of research protocols, learning briefs, refresher trainings, and knowledge products.
This consultancy is expected to include 110 days of effort distributed from May 2022 to April 2023.
Summary Of Responsibilities
- Working collaboratively with the Youth Excel team, the local partner, and USAID, serve as an implementation research technical mentor. Learn and use the Youth Excel implementation research approach.
- Manage the adherence to workplan timelines and support local partner throughout implementation.
- Provide individualized technical assistance and strengthen local partner capacities to use implementation research tools, use a variety of data collection methods, and help them succeed in using implementation research.
- Co-lead the development and implementation of a stakeholder engagement plan with the local partner.
- Co-lead the development and implementation of research plans.
- Coordinate the ethical review of all research plans.
- Co-lead the organization and facilitation of regular learning workshops to interrogate, synthesize, and apply research data and findings.
- Assist local partner in organizing and facilitating monthly refresher trainings with mentors to inform and implement adaptations recommended from learning and adaptation workshops.
- Co-author knowledge products (i.e. learning briefs and learning report) with local partner.
- Coordinate and facilitate virtual event to support the release of the Young Emanzi Boys Mentorship Learning Report.
Skills And Qualifications
- Technical knowledge and expertise in gender transformative approaches, gender norms programming, positive masculinities, girls’ empowerment, adolescent sexual and reproductive health, and/or gender and social inclusion.
- Master’s degree in a field related to implementation research and/or participatory action research in a field related to international development, youth development, health, or another relevant field.
- Experience developing and publishing academic knowledge products.
- At least three (3) years’ experience using implementation research, participatory action research, or related methodologies with local organizations in Tanzania. Experience working with youth researchers is strongly preferred.
- Experience providing technical assistance in research to individuals who may not have had research experience.
- Experience upholding high ethical standards in research. Experience working with minors in research preferred.
- Demonstrated facilitation skills with widely diverse groups.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects in fast-paced work environments, and deliver high quality results under tight deadlines.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English. Conversational skills in Swahili a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration, reflection, and learning.
- Physically based in Tanzania preferred.
Application Submission Instructions
- CV that emphasizes relevant experience for this assignment. Please include the country where you are currently located as well as countries/regions where you have experience, and relevant language skills.
- Cover letter: Please submit a cover letter briefly outlining general information about the consultant, limited to 2 pages or less.
- Brief consultant profile
- If attached to a firm, include a brief description (if a firm, note that one individual will be designated as key personnel in the agreement).
- If a firm, state whether firm/consultant is local, national, or international, and size of firm.
- Daily rate of consultant
- Indicate rough schedule of availability