- Are you interested in working with a dynamic team doing amazing work in the critical areas of Health, Education and Social Protection?
- Are you a passionate MEL professional who is interested to live and work long term in Timor-Leste
- We are looking for a long-term Adviser – MEL to assist us to learn from and measure the impact of our work throughout Timor-Leste
- Join the Australia Timor-Leste Partnership for Human Development (PHD) on a 24-month contract (with possible extension), international ARF position, based in Dili, Timor-Leste
The Adviser – Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) is a pivotal position, that provides strategic and technical support to the refinement and implementation of PHD’s Monitoring and Evaluation Learning (MEL) system. This position works and mentors a dynamic team of MEL staff, who routinely monitor and learn from their work in the sectors of Health, Education and Social Protection. The information generated shows progress and guides collaborative decision making between the Government of Timor-Leste and DFAT for the program as a whole. Routine monitoring quantitative and qualitative data will be collected and analysed between the program sector teams and partners, developing narratives of change and impact across PHD. In addition, this position will promote a culture of learning across PHD to ensure continuous improvement in the program.
Key components of your role will include:
MEL strategic and technical advice
- Liaise with DFAT to advise on best practice approaches to the improvement and management of the PHD Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (MELP)
- Provide high level technical support to the program in performance measurement, process monitoring, evaluation and learning with a particular focus on PHD’s contribution to government systems strengthening and improvements in service delivery.
- Develop, monitor and report against the MEL section and or components of the annual workplan with oversight and budget approval for the MEL budget
- Act as a mentor and manager of a small team with responsibility for MEL
- Lead on and/or support learning dialogues/program reviews and reflections
- Provide quality oversight and technical input to the sector teams in compiling 6-monthly reports for DFAT and the annual plan, including managing the collation and analysis of data to provide evidence of progress towards achieving program outcomes
- Provide strategic oversight during periodic reviews and outcomes assessments
- Provide technical advice on the design and implementation of a process to identify, analyse, document and disseminate lessons learned and promote the outcomes and activities of PHD
- Ensure that all PHD MEL products meet DFAT and GoTL information needs and meet DFAT M&E Standards.
- Participate in MEL community of learning networks-DFAT and others
- Develop, track and update the MELFs to monitor the achievement of performance targets and assess progress towards desired outcomes and impact
- Establish/refine monitoring systems and tools to measure program progress
- Develop/refine methodology for field data collection, including both qualitative and quantitative instruments.
Data Collection and Evaluation
- Manage all aspects of MEL data collection, storage, analysis and prepare/support assessment/reviews and evaluations
- Coordinate evaluations and research with technical teams, including design, data collection, management and analysis
- Ensure quality of data collected through periodic verification procedures including routine data quality audits
- Oversee the ongoing development of and management of the PHD MEL Management Information System (MIS – AMEE)
Advice to the Government of Timor-Leste
- Advise the Government of Timor-Leste on M&E in areas that relate to PHD’s work and hence to enhance achievement of the end of program outcomes, as requested.
We are seeking an individual who will bring:
- Demonstrated experience (8+ years desirable) working for an international development organisation, in designing, managing and implementing results-based MEL activities relevant to human development sectors
- Strong technical skills, including ability to design MEL processes to collect and analyse quantitative and qualitative data relevant for multi-sectoral initiatives, with experience in the use of IT to do so
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences, economics, evaluation research, statistics or relevant field.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills in developing and maintaining effective relationships with diverse stakeholders and partners; with exceptional writing skills and ability in providing high quality reporting for a diverse audience.
- Working knowledge and experience with DFAT funded program management, MEL systems and guidelines is highly desirable.
- Experience and knowledge of in Timor-Leste is desirable
The PHD supports the Government of Timor-Leste’s Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030 and reflects Australia’s commitment to work in partnership with Timor-Leste to invest in improved wellbeing for Timor-Leste’s people. PHD aims to deliver lasting impact on the program goal: ‘People in Timor-Leste are healthier, better-educated and better able to contribute to Timor-Leste’s development.’ Through PHD, Australia supports the Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL) to deliver higher quality and inclusive services in primary healthcare, basic education and social protection.
Abt Associates Australia is the implementation partner for PHD, contracted since May 2016 until May 2026.
Further Information & How to Apply
Please apply online through the Careers Page of the Abt Associates website via the following link: https://egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/requisitions/preview/102426/?keyword=adviser+-+monitoring
Please attach a cover letter and your up-to-date CV as single document, addressing how you meet the requirements of this role.
For further information please email the PHD People & Culture team via [email protected]. Please insert the job title in the email subject heading.
Closing Date: Friday, 7th October 2022 (AEST)
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader with a proven track record in complex program implementation in the international development sector. We offer bold solutions and technical excellence in Health, Economic Growth, Governance, Research & Evaluation, Environment & Energy, Gender Equality & Social Inclusion. Working with our many partners, we have driven measurable social impact for more than 55 years, to achieve our mission of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. We operate in remote and challenging environments and employ more than 3,700 staff in over 50 countries. For more information about us and what we do, visit our website at www.abtassociates.com
Abt Associates values individuality and celebrates difference with a strong commitment to diversity, equality, racial equity, gender, and disability inclusion. We strongly encourage people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply for this position. We offer flexible work arrangements and a culturally safe environment for staff members from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.
We are deeply committed to safeguarding, to protect and prevent harm and abuse to individuals we work for and who work for us. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. We will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, child abuse, sexual abuse or exploitation in any form, and expect everyone to be treated with respect and dignity.