Website International Republican Institute (IRI)
Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day-to-day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence– We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom– We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency– We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The Data Visualization Associate (DVA) is an entry-level position at IRI’s Center for Insights in Survey Research (CISR) and is mainly responsible for the production and quality control of PowerPoint-based slide decks visualizing survey data.
- Undergraduate degree in sociology, psychology, statistics, international relations, political science, or related field. Coursework in survey research, statistics etc. preferred.
- 0-1 years of experience in survey research, data visualization or related field.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint required, especially chart functions, including:
- Experience using a variety of chart types, such as line, column, bar, and pie graphs
- Experience customizing Excel charts, including modifying axes and legends and adjusting the color and size of lines and markers
- Experience with statistical software such as SPSS or R preferred.
- Excellent written communication skills—will need to correct grammar issues and typos on slide decks.
- Solid ability to read survey data—will need to verify datapoints cited on graphs against original data source. Ability to perform basic custom data analysis (creating derived variables, filters, cross tabulations, simple statistical significance tests etc.) preferred.
- Demonstrated familiarity with concepts related to the visual display of data and effective chart type selection are strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of different countries across the globe preferred. Foreign language skills preferred.
- Extreme attention to detail—will need to identify errors and produce largely error-free products.
The above requirements are essential to a successful application. Selected applicants for this position will be required to take a skills test to measure their ability to edit and create charts.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
This role supports the Center for Insights in Survey Research (CISR) by creating and editing PowerPoint based slide decks featuring Excel-based graphs of survey data. The role will be responsible for delivering visually appealing, easy-to-understand data visualizations that conform to IRI’s branding. The role collaborates across the CISR Team and with IRI’s Regional Program Teams. Explicit guidance will be provided for each task, and the Data Visualization Associate is expected to perform assigned tasks largely error-free and in a timely and efficient manner after receiving initial training.
- Formats existing slides to match IRI’s style book (colors, fonts, formatting, etc.), verifies accurate spelling/grammar for all text on slides, verifies accuracy of each data point cited on slides against original data source.
- Creates individual slides or entire slide deck from original data source. Determines best chart type to display the data points.
- Produces infographics based on a template and specific data points.
- Less frequently assigned responsibilities include:
- Comparing Power BI based dashboard data against original data source.
- Maintenance of spreadsheet tracking CISR core question data across countries and over time.
- General CISR logistical support.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelors or better in Sociology or related field.
Less than 1 year: •Experience with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint required, especially chart functions, including: •Experience using a variety of chart types, such as line, column, bar, and pie graphs •Experience customizing Excel charts, including modifying axes and legends and adjusting the color and size of lines and markers •Experience with statistical software such as SPSS or R preferred. •Excellent written communication skills—will need to correct grammar issues and typos on slide decks.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.