Website United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization ,
Under the overall authority and guidance of the Director and Representative of the UNESCO Regional Office for Southern Africa, and in close cooperation with Unit Heads and the Administrative officer of UNESCO ROSA, the incumbent shall coordinate and manage public information for the Office with the view of enhancing the Organization’s visibility. Specific tasks include.
- Support the Director and heads of Units (SMT) in the design of an internal communication strategy and mechanisms for implementation.
- Prepare communication materials to be shared with ROSA team in direct liaison with the SMT.
- Act as the focal point for UNESCO ROSA in all the UNESCO regional and Global communication team.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of close contacts with the media, Governments, NGOs, educational institutions, civil society and other UN partners in the Southern Africa region covering UN-related issues and other relevant topics.
- Identify and prioritize critical ROSA activities and coordinate mainstream media coverage for higher visibility; this will include timely placement of UNESCO materials intended for the media (op-eds, news stories, interviews, Press Releases etc.).
- Act as the focal point for media coverage of important events in coordination and under the guidance of the Director.
- Maintain and periodically update a database of media contacts in Southern Africa for use by UNESCO ROSA Staff.
- Provide technical support on visibility and branding initiatives for UNESCO premises and UNESCO assets.
Digital Communications And Visibility:
- Coordinate the production of communication and promotional materials including posters, banners and other branded materials;
- Manage UNESCO ROSA digital platforms for effective communications and visibility.
- Support/coordinate UNESCO ROSA’s participation in UNCT communication events, including preparation of materials for exhibitions etc.
- Represent UNESCO ROSA and participate in the UN Communication Group (UNCG).
- Manage and maintain UNESCO ROSA website and social media accounts;
- Edit all newsflashes, website content, annual reports, speeches for the Regional Director etc. before they are posted on digital or legacy platforms;
- Produce Quarterly Online Newsletters for the Office; and
- Coordinate the production of the Office Annual Reports and strategic documents such as the Regional Support Strategy, Resource Mobilisation Strategy etc.
- Contribute where necessary, in editing and finalisation of UNESCO Country Strategies
- With guidance from Director and Representative of the UNESCO Regional Office for Southern Africa, coordinate the drafting of resource and mobilisation strategy for UNESCO Regional office for Southern Africa and
- Coordinate the UNESCO ROSA visibility strategy and its implementation plan.
- Organise training on technical aspects related to office visibility ( e.g photography, video editing etc)
- Support the communication and information activities of UNESCO ROSA’s projects and activities working with project specific Communication Officers.
Monitoring And Evaluation:
- Monitor and report results and impacts of UNESCO ROSA communications activities as per the schedules agreed with the Regional Director.
- Assist with the monitoring of media coverage; collating analytics and metrics of emerging and topical trends that may affect UNESCO mandate and programmes.
- Assess the use of house style rules in line with UNESCO correspondence and style manuals, and undertake corrective measures where necessary.
- Support the Administrative Officer and the ICT Officer in ensuring automated messaging systems are in line with the agreed visibility and branding standards.
- Advanced University degree in communication, journalism, graphic designing, international relations or related field.
- Work Experience
- At least 2 years of work experience in Communication and Information management, graphic design, journalism or related area.
- Communication through excellent verbal, written English, and interpersonal skills; effectively conveys and shares information and ideas internally and externally, clarifying understanding and taking into consideration different viewpoints; awareness of personal biases and takes consideration of gender and diversity mainstreaming in communication.
- Knowledge and experience in Digital content Management Systems (CMS), Social Media platforms and Web Metrics.
- Knowledge and experience in photography and video editing
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Teamwork: works effectively with and supports colleagues, fostering inter-sectoral collaboration and a positive and collaborative environment
- Innovation: demonstrates initiative and creativity, developing new ideas and approaches and taking initiatives, when required.
- Results focus by assuming accountability for the delivery of agreed results; and demonstrates an understanding of how they contribute to the goals of the Organization.
To apply for this job please visit careers.unesco.org.