Website Environmental Incentives
Environmental Incentives seeks to hire a Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) Senior Specialist to support the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/Ethiopia Highlands Resilience Platform for Adaptive Learning (R-PAL). R-PAL is a new, five-year project that partners with the Ethiopia Mission, its Transition into Graduation through Enhanced Resilience (TIGER) Program’s Implementing Partners, and the Government of Ethiopia to establish joint action learning, consolidate research and learning agendas, enable partners to adapt approaches as needs arise, drive evidence-based decisions, and identify the most promising innovations to scale.
The highlands of Ethiopia is a complex, multi-layered risk landscape where key indicators of resilience, including poverty, food insecurity, and malnutrition keep millions of households in a poverty trap or vulnerability cycle, unable to absorb shocks and stresses, or adapt to changing conditions. The TIGER activity portfolio is composed of more than 20 implementing mechanisms working with the Government of Ethiopia (GOE), the Productive Safety Net Programme (PSNP), and a broad coalition of partners to strengthen resilience in Ethiopia’s highlands. Within TIGER and the broader landscape of highlands resilience partners, there is evident need to better sequence, layer and integrate (SLI) resilience-building relief and development programming. That said, the lack of a finalized resilience learning agenda, shared measurement framework, a highly contextualized evidence base, and weak AM practice, impedes USAID/TIGER’s ability to efficiently distill meaningful feedback, assess potential for scale, and direct investment to the right combination of activities.
As the CKM Senior Specialist, you will support a dynamic, Addis Ababa-based project team under the direction of the CLA Component Lead and the R-PAL Chief of Party. In this role, you will provide specialized technical expertise to R-PAL’s delivery of service. You will act as a resource for USAID (Client) and implementing teams as you harvest, package, and disseminate learning to inform adaptive management, drawing on your substantial expertise to meet the team’s and Client’s needs. You will effectively communicate with the Client, project managers, and other technical specialists to surface and amplify stories and learning, thereby allowing teams to apply this consolidated information in their adaptive management decision-making. With appropriate review by others, you will produce consistently high quality and accurate products that meet R-PAL and USAID quality standards.
To succeed in this role, you must be willing and able to follow security guidelines and travel safely within Ethiopia.
Lead communications and reporting of case stories, project outcomes, and learning
- Leads the design, delivery, and regular review of R-PAL’s Communication Strategy, working in close partnership with USAID’s TIGER communications team.
- Identifies opportunities and activities to establish a strong R-PAL identity and brand, including through targeted communications, broader engagements, ad hoc advisory services, and/or co-branding activities where appropriate and agreed with implementing partners and USAID.
- Provides technical assistance to gather and communicate stories, facilitate outcome harvesting, and manage communities of practice with USAID implementing partners and stakeholders across Ethiopia.
- Leads the production of best-practice reports based on reports from TIGER implementing partners to surface generated insights and learnings.
- Develops content in an efficient and timely manner that enables review, testing, and quality assurance.
- Develops final products that meet high editorial quality.
Lead and/or support key knowledge management functions
- Provides overall support and, as needed, leadership on R-PAL’s knowledge management and learning (KML) functions in support of TIGER implementing partners.
- Supports the CLA Director and the Knowledge Management team to design and roll-out a system for learning and knowledge management.
- Helps establish minimum requirements.
- Helps ensure that R-PAL’s CKM functions complement and integrate with USAID’s overall CKM system.
- Ensures that the knowledge base is configured appropriately for optimum accessibility and wide adoption.
- Coordinates, collaborates and oversees best practice consolidation across all thematic sectors.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree and 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Ideally, this education and/or experience will be in the fields of international development, natural resource management, communications, journalism, sociology/psychology/anthropology, international relations, or other related field.
- Experience in crafting communication messages in various formats (articles, press releases, websites, social media, photos, success stories, blog entries, tweets, etc.) targeting a variety of audiences.
- Two or more years of experience working on USAID projects.
- Demonstrated, exceptional verbal and written skills (English).
- Professional working proficiency in English (verbal and written).
- Professional proficiency (verbal and written) in Amharic.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working on USAID-funded programs or on similar programs funded by other Government of Ethiopia development partners.
- Professional proficiency (verbal and written) in at least one other local language such as Afan Oromo, Tigrigna or other.
- Professional experience engaging and communicating with diverse audiences, including USAID implementing partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience independently translating technical content into actionable products for different audiences and users, both technical and non-technical.
- Professional experience with workshop and meeting management and facilitation.
- Professional experience working in the Ethiopian Highlands.
- Experience working on knowledge management; monitoring, evaluation, adaptive management, and learning (MEAL); and/or communications and journalism.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to attend conference calls and virtual meetings with the Client and other stakeholders outside of regular business hours approximately 3-6 times per month.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite and Google Apps.
- Ability to summarize and repackage technical information in clear, compelling language.
- Proven ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks under pressure.
- Anticipates audience needs early in the process and takes a user-centered approach to product development.
- Candidate must demonstrate their ability to legally work and reside in Ethiopia for the duration of the project.
- Criminal background check required.
The position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be dependent on and commensurate with years of experience and expertise. Environmental Incentives also offers a competitive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application no later than September 30, 2022. We will review applications and contact qualified candidates for additional information.
ENVIRONMENTAL INCENTIVES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are committed to developing an inclusive work environment for all employees, where diversity of thought, style, culture, and skill is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or and other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Applicants with disabilities may contact Environmental Incentives coordinators via telephone, e-mail, and other means to request and arrange for accommodations. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Human Resources:
Director of Human Resources
Phone: (202) 525-2450
E-mail: [email protected]
To apply for this job please visit enviroincentives.com.