ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Lebanon, Colombia, Brazil, Mali, Sudan, South Sudan, Zimbabwe, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Madagascar, Yemen, and Haiti. We work to create impact at the local level and inform approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science and information management experts. In Phase I of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Content Creator will generate multimedia content for social media, traditional media and humanitarian agencies to distribute in response to information needs identified by the project team. The Content Creator may create text, audio, animations, video, infographic, data visualization, digital and print media, or other formats fo accurate and targeted “news you can use” for the affected population most at-risk for spreading false health information or engaging in behaviors that increase risks for themselves and their communities. This role will coordinate closely with two country-level teams in Madagascar and Mali, as well as with other Rooted in Trust content creators.
This is a remote-first position. The ideal candidate is based in West or Central Africa, and preference will be given to candidates who have lived and/or worked in Mali and/or Madagascar; however, all remote applicants will be considered. You must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. In addition, there are some countries in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some fo the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited duration position with an expected end date of December 31, 2023. Hiring for this position is contingent upon receipt of funding.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Create relevant content in multiple formats, including text, audio, video, infographic, data visualization, and other forms;
- Align content with insights and analysis produced by social media monitoring, face-to-face listening activities and information ecosystem analysis produced by the project team;
- Work with the project team to tailor content to understand and meet the information needs of vulnerable or marginalized communities;
- Collaborate with journalists, influencers, bloggers, and public health officials to develop evidence-based content;
- Manage online presence of the project as necessary;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisors; and
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strong graphic design skills using Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, Lightroom (preferably experience working with Canva)
- Strong image and video editing skills
- Good knowledge of the Malian and Malagasy social media ecosystems and content preferences
- Experience creating widely distributed online content for journalism, humanitarian, risk communication, or public health purposes
- Experience creating content that meets the information needs of vulnerable or marginalized groups. Experience in content creation covering the realities of Internally Displaced People is a plus.
- Self-motivated and used to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong understanding of, and commitment towards, editorial values of the project
- Fluent in written and spoken English and French
- Must be creative, self-reliant, resourceful, a good problem-solver, good humored and flexible
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge of humanitarian communications, public health communications, and crisis response techniques considered an asset, particularly related to COVID-19
- Awareness of, and familiarity with, the issues and dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic and/or other health crises in humanitarian contexts a strong asset
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.