Abt Associates -
- Are you interested in working with dynamic teams that support the Government of Timor-Leste to improve service delivery in the critical areas of Education, Social protections, Gender and Disability inclusion across Timor-Leste
- Are you an experienced international development leader and manager who would like to live and work long-term in Timor-Leste
- We are looking for a long-term Deputy Team Leader who can provide strategic leadership and management direction to our investments and teams in the areas of basic education, social protection and GEDSI
- Join the Australia Timor-Leste Partnership for Human Development (PHD) on a 24-month contract (with possible extension), international ARF position, based in Dili, Timor-Leste
About the Program
The Australia Timor-Leste Partnership for Human Development (PHD) supports the Government of Timor-Leste’s (GoTL) Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030 and reflects Australia’s commitment to work in partnership with Timor-Leste to invest in improved wellbeing for Timor-Leste’s people. PHD aims to deliver lasting impact on the program goal: ‘People in Timor-Leste are healthier, better-educated and better able to contribute to Timor-Leste’s development’. Through PHD, Australia supports the GoTL to deliver higher quality and inclusive services in primary health, basic education and social protection.
PHD is a multi-sector facility with 3 key program sectors (Health, Education and Social Protection). Gender Equality, Disability, Nutrition and Governance for System strengthening (GSS) work is considered cross cutting across all program engagement areas. PHD must remain flexible and responsive to the changing context in Timor-Leste at times this may include emergency response and other tasking directed by the Australian Embassy in Timor-Leste and the GoTL.
Abt Associates Australia is the implementation partner for PHD, contracted since May 2016 until May 2026.
About the Opportunity
The Deputy Team Leader – Education, Social Protection and GEDSI will act as a key member of the PHD Executive Team and have the following key responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Team Leader and the DTL – Health and Nutrition to provide leadership, to develop and maintain a coherent strategic and technical vision for the program
- Providing technical oversight and evidence-based advice to relevant Sector Leads and program partners on the performance of sector portfolios against expected outcomes, ensuring alignment with approved strategy
- Managing the quality of technical inputs and cross-cutting collaboration into the education, social solidarity and inclusion (SSI) and gender portfolios
- Working closely with the DTL – Health and Nutrition ensure that disability mainstreaming efforts, and partnerships are managed coherently across the program
- Working as an effective member of the PHD executive
- Maintaining productive and responsive relationships with DFAT, government agencies, implementing partners, development partners, relevant organizations and technical experts in the education, SSI and gender portfolios
- Overseeing timely implementation of agreed governance mechanisms with relevant line Ministries
- Representing PHD at key meetings and events in close coordination with the Team Leader
Planning and Reporting
- Ensuring education, SSI and gender sector workplans and budgets are developed in consultation with government counterparts; are in line with agreed transition strategies; technically reviewed and proactively monitored through governance mechanisms.
- Working closely with the monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) Team and relevant Sector Lead to develop effective and appropriate MEL plans; foster a strong learning culture based on the application of MEL plans
- Overseeing delivery of relevant sector activities in accordance with the PHD strategy and approved annual plans, including cross cutting areas of MEL, Communications and Governance for System Strengthening (GSS).
- Under the guidance of the Team Leader, coordinate portfolio program documents and processes, including annual reports, annual plans and budgets, policy dialogue matrices, Partner Performance Assessments and other documents as required
- Contributing to the ongoing political economy analysis activities to inform PHD and DFAT decision making.
- Together with DTL – Health and Nutrition, facilitate effective linkages and collaboration across PHD teams and program partners
- Working with the Executive on operational systems improvements to enhance program management and performance standards
- Participate in the recruitment, orientation, training and supervision of program staff
- Directly managing selected Sector Leads and/or other senior staff
- Advise on risk management relevant to sectors and monitor compliance with all relevant policies and guidelines
- Ensuring that relevant Abt Associates policies such as gender, child protection, environment, social inclusion and work health and safety are fully integrated into program delivery
- Undertake other duties as assigned including occasionally acting as Team Leader during absences
We are seeking an individual for this strategic position who has the following:
- Advanced degree in a relevant field such as international development, social sciences, public policy.
- Substantial senior program management experience relevant to the human development sectors of Education, Social Protection and GEDSI.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and proven experience in developing and maintaining relationships with senior partner government officials, donor representatives and other key stakeholders
- Ability to manage large scale multi-disciplinary teams, ensuring team and program coherence.
- Exceptional communication and writing skills, with demonstrated results in providing high-quality reporting
- Working knowledge and experience with DFAT funded program management and policies is desirable.
- Experience in and knowledge of Timor-Leste is desirable and language skills valuable.
Further Information & How to Apply
Please apply online through the Careers page of the Abt Associates website via the following link https://egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/requisitions/preview/102423/?keyword=deputy+team+leader
Please attach a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document, addressing how you meet the requirements of this role.
For further information please email the PHD People & Culture team via [email protected]. Please insert the job title in the email subject heading.
Closing date: Friday, 7 October 2022 (AEST)
To apply for this job please visit egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com.