Website International Center for Research on Women (ICRW)
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Director, Business Development and Fundraising will grow the organization’s revenue globally. The Director will bring their expertise and networks to procure financial support from various sources including, but not limited to, foundations, corporations, individuals, multilaterals and governments. Central to the role will be working closely with our portfolio managers, fundraising efforts, leading the global business plan development and accountability process, identifying and cultivating prospects, leading giving campaigns, and managing a global team of business development staff.
The Director will work closely with the Vice President, Research and Programs; Vice President, Policy, Advocacy & Strategy; and Vice President, Gender Centers of Excellence; Regional Director, Africa; and Regional Director, Asia to identify and attract donors aligned with ICRW’s strategic priorities, geographies and global platform. This position will represent the organization, working with all ICRW offices, as they cultivate a community of engaged donors (restricted and unrestricted) around the world.
Master’s Degree, or equivalent experience, in Business Administration, International Development, or another relevant field.
Minimum fifteen (15) years’ relevant work experience in the gender equity and the international development arena as a development professional. The Director must have a proven track record of securing restricted and unrestricted funds from individuals, foundations, governments, multi-laterals, and donors. The director must have a strong understanding of the respective funding mechanisms of a wide variety of donors – foundations, corporations, governments, multilaterals, etc. They must also have significant experience developing unrestricted donation campaigns and events.
The successful applicant will have a robust network of donor relationships and a proven track record of securing multi-million-dollar revenues on an annual basis. The successful candidate will have significant experience working with global teams to develop fundraising opportunities and proposal design. They should also have excellent communication skills, outstanding management and team building skills, and the highest level of personal integrity.
- Grow the organization’s revenue and donor base in the U.S., India, Kenya, and Uganda.
- Lead a small international team of business development professionals in strategy development, opportunity identification and prioritization, and proposal development.
- Work with teams across the organization to build their funding and donor management capacity.
- Serve as reviewer and final editor of all official ICRW submissions to donors.
- Contribute to the identification, development and execution of a business development strategy, new processes, procedures, tools, and templates; conduct staff training to support program teams, and strengthen the efficiency of internal systems.
- Oversee the management of ICRW’s business development and campaign databases. Expertise with Salesforce required.
Strategic Planning and Development
- Develop a business development and fundraising strategy with President & CEO and other senior staff which clearly articulates ICRW’s brand, purpose and product in a compelling and effective way. This business development strategy should reflect the ICRW New Vision 2023-2026 plan to take us to the 50th year and boldly communicate our impact in key areas and with key constituencies.
- Identify value propositions for ICRW; design and operationalize central and decentralized functions for greater results.
- Guide and support senior technical staff in the development and presentation of concepts and proposals to potential donors, and lead funding negotiations.
- Network with donors and partners to be at the cutting edge of new opportunities.
Relationship Building and Effective Communication
- Understand and articulate ICRW’s bodies of work and impact.
- Share ICRW vision, work, and impact with prospective donors and key stakeholders in a compelling manner.
- Develop and lead unrestricted donation campaigns and events using email. social media and other methods.
- Be a spokesperson for ICRW in meetings with donors and partners.
- Build and cultivate an active community of donors, from individuals to family foundations.
- Re-engage and re-invigorate past ICRW donors.
- Work closely with the Director, Global Communications to develop strong story lines and provocative impact collateral aimed at building ICRW’s community and donor pool.
- Extensive experience building relationships with key donors.
- Proven track record raising multi-million dollar funds with individuals and organizations.
- Proven ability to think and write strategically based on proposal criteria.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Responsiveness to donor solicitation, requests, and feedback.
- Strong and proven commitment to and understanding of gender and racial equity.
- Effective ability to develop and maintain relationships, in person and virtually.
- Salesforce CRM management skills.
- Track record of effective work with decentralized, global institutions.
Offers are based on the candidate’s job-related knowledge, experience, qualifications, and an assessment of internal and external equity review.
This position is eligible for ICRW’s full benefits package.
About the Organization
The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) advances rights and opportunities for women and girls to ensure a more gender-equal world. For 45 years, ICRW has been the world’s leading non-profit building evidence and promoting solutions for how to improve the lives of women, girls and other marginalized people.
Our research, advocacy and advisory programs focus on economic opportunity, women’s health, gender norms, positive youth development, sexual and reproductive health and rights, gender-based violence, and equitable workplaces. Our partners and clients include community-based and nongovernmental organizations; bilateral and multilateral agencies; foundations, philanthropists and corporations; governments; and academic and financial institutions.
Covid 19 Recruitment Information:
Currently ICRW staff and our new hires working from our Washington DC office are encouraged to come into the office twice per week, but remote work is acceptable.
ICRW expects its employees who engage in any work-related in-person interactions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. New hires must also provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination at the time of hire, and offers of employment will be contingent on compliance with ICRW COVID-19 vaccination policy. Any documentation received by an employee will be kept confidential to the extent consistent with U.S. law.
Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children from abuse. We have zero-tolerance for sexual harassment at workplace.
ICRW is committed to promoting a culture of equity through our recruitment processes, staff training, policies & procedures, Board membership, and research programming. We believe that all people deserve an equal opportunity for employment, advancement, and fulfillment – regardless of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We are committed to expanding our definition for what diversity means, moving beyond the binaries, and setting new standards for ourselves and across sectors.
ICRW is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law, where applicable.
ICRW is an E-Verify Employer.
To apply for this job please visit icrw.applicantstack.com.