Website World Resources Institute (WRI)
FOLU seeks to develop, deliver and disseminate high quality and impactful knowledge products globally, filling data gaps through innovative research and/or synthesis of existing research that supports our integrated agenda. As such, we require increased oversight and quality assurance processes for all products bearing the FOLU logo. Working closely with FOLU’s Knowledge Generation team and WRI’s Research, Data, and Innovation (RDI) team, this position will support the development of a Coalition-wide research strategy, as well as oversee a rigorous quality assurance process for all knowledge products bearing the FOLU (and WRI) logo. This role will work to promote excellence in FOLU’s research and to ensure that it aligns with and advances FOLU’s reform agenda, coalition partner independent research, and Coalition objectives. This role will seek to accomplish these goals through four primary avenues: publication/data product review and quality control, advising on the latest research in peer-reviewed journals, looking across the suite of partners to ensure consistency of evidence-base; and setting up processes/research to resolve differences, and promote synergies. The position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in London, UK.
- Lead the co-creation of the research agenda in collaboration with FOLU’s Knowledge Generation team, Core Partners and Country platforms, including identifying key knowledge gaps, better capturing learning through application, and connecting the knowledge dots across the network for greatest impact
- Serve as an advisor, with the Co-Directors of the Knowledge Generation team, to the Global Director for all issues regarding knowledge and research
- Review publication plans. Provide early feedback to authors on producing effective, rigorous, groundbreaking content for their publications that is fit for key audiences, including policymakers, businesses, multilateral development organizations, etc.
- Oversee the peer review process for selected draft publications, provide feedback to authors on how to strengthen their research, and help guide reviewers and authors as needed, ensuring knowledge products are of the highest quality and form that will have maximum impact
- Mentor and provide support to FOLU Coalition members on research design, data interpretation, and analytical issues. Help research staff organize brown bags on their research methodologies
- Communicate with staff across the Coalition on the status of publications and proactively check in to ensure that procedures are being followed
- Review FOLU publications and provide sign-off to ensure internal and external review process for knowledge products is complete
- Help research staff identify external experts who can effectively review work.
- PhD in environment studies/science, agriculture/food systems, international development, economics or related area required
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant full-time work experience.
Knowledge of food and land use systems including nutrition and/or health
- Excellent writing skills, demonstrated knowledge of qualitative or quantitative research methods, and ability to communicate those skills to colleagues
- Track record of writing and overseeing high-quality research products
- Sound judgment and the ability to uphold high quality standards
- Strong sense of skepticism and the ability to diagnose and articulate weaknesses in research
- Demonstrated ability to give constructive feedback and clearly explain the reasoning behind decisions
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with teams of experienced professionals
- Proficient English skills are a must; additional language skills are a plus.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter. Applicants mustapply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
The Food and Land Use Coalition (FOLU) is a self-governed Coalition of organizations and individuals working collaboratively to achieve a shared objective: the urgent transformation of food and land use systems to deliver a better future for people, nature and climate. FOLU supports evidence-based solutions and helps to build a shared understanding of the challenges and opportunities to unlock collective, ambitious action. FOLU’s Growing Better report recommends an integrated reform agenda along ten critical transitions to deliver positive outcomes for environment, health, inclusive development and food security. We work to ensure food and land use systems support delivery of globally agreed sustainable development, climate and biodiversity goals. The Coalition’s collective leadership is provided by a Core Partners Group comprised of: The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), EAT, the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), SYSTEMIQ, World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), World Farmers’ Organization (WFO), and the World Resources Institute (WRI) (where this position will be anchored). We implement our work in six countries Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, China and Colombia.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and our operating budget is nearing $200 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of over 1,600 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.jobvite.com.