Website World Bank,
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Working under the supervision of the Education Practice Manager and under the coordination of the Task Team Leader(s) working in Senegal, the Education Specialist/Economist will be based in Dakar and will support the preparation, supervision, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects, technical assistance, and analytical and advisory activities.
The candidate will:
- Participate in the design and implementation/supervision of operational and analytical tasks, undertaking field missions, as needed;
- Interact with government counterparts, local education group, and other partner organizations (civil society organizations, academia, etc.) on project- and sector-related issues as required;
- Help identify and resolve implementation problems and bottlenecks, advance progress of various activities and components, based on a thorough understanding of the development objectives and design of projects;
- Participate as a core member of the Country Team, taking part in strategic discussions and exploring opportunities for cross-sectoral collaboration within the Country Office and across the extended Country Team;
- Keep all task teams as well as the Country Management team informed of any issues that arise; focus especially on the areas of safeguards and fiduciary management and liaise with appropriate colleagues and experts in those areas; pay particular attention to issues related to citizen engagement, grievance redress and gender-based violence;
- Participate in review meetings and represent the education teams in relevant Bank-wide initiatives; and
- Perform other duties and tasks, as specified by the Practice Manager, and the relevant project Task Team Leaders.
- Master’s or PhD in Education (economics of education, evaluation, etc.) or other related fields (e.g. economics, public policy, other human development or social sector-related areas, etc.);
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in education sector projects, analytics, development of education strategies, or evaluation of education systems;
- Expertise in the Early Years agenda, with a focus on education, health, nutrition and/or child protection; experience in multisector initiatives is highly desirable;
- Familiarity with education operations with international organizations, including preparation and implementation support for projects; knowledge of education technology and/or private education systems is highly desirable;
- Knowledge of the Senegal education sector is highly desirable; all candidates are expected to familiarize themselves with the challenges and specificities of this system.
- Strong client orientation and proven ability to work with government agencies, with national stakeholders, and with partner organizations; and
- Excellent written and oral communication in French and English is essential.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.