Food and Agriculture Organization
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by the FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government in developing policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in FAO’s global mandate and strategic objectives.
More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and responding to recurrent emergencies.
The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building, and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The position is under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia, the direct supervision of the Emergency Programme Coordination Consultant and the Emergency Preparedness and Response Officer.
The Emergency Programme Senior Support will be responsible for providing emergency agriculture activities in Somalia including disbursement of cash support and agriculture livelihood inputs etc., according to FAO’s emergency programme objectives.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Support in the implementation and monitoring of Emergency Agriculture activities in Somalia including disbursement of cash support and agriculture livelihood inputs etc, according to FAO’s emergency programme objectives.
- Closely supervise the work of Service Providers (SP) on the ground while ensuring that project activities are running smoothly and in line with FAOs Risk Management Framework. This will include timely implementation and accomplishment of the planned project activities/objectives particularly agriculture input/service distribution and unconditional cash transfer.
- Support in the implementation of the market survey exercise to determine input voucher prices and select agro dealer’s to be contracted in the FAO voucher scheme.
- Support capacity building efforts for the SPs by supporting training activities and providing regular feedback and support throughout the duration of the project implementation.
- Closely work with other FAO units (Field Staff, Information Management, and Finance, Monitoring and Evaluation and other units) and Service Provider (SP) staff to facilitate proper/effective support of all the Emergency agriculture interventions.
- Support in the receipt, review and approval of data and reports received from the field for agriculture emergency activities for the payment of service providers and money vendor reimbursement by ensuring that they adhere to FAO’s risk management framework and FAO’s voucher scheme guidelines to ensure proper utilization of project funds.
- Support in information management of project activities deliverables through collating and compiling accurate project data as well as support the maintenance of the agriculture inputs and cash disbursement database on a regular basis.
- Undertake travel and field visits to ensure adequate support is provided to the implementation of emergency projects and programs.
- Perform any other duties.
Candidates Will Be Assessed Against The Following
- University degree in one of the following fields: social sciences, development studies, agriculture, business administration, public administration, project management or other relevant discipline.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in programme management, agriculture, cash transfer and administration.
- Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
- Nationality of Somalia.
- Experience in implementation and follow up of the emergency agriculture and cash transfer programme activities
- Experience in effective preparation and management of the emergency agriculture georeferenced database and appropriate information shared whenever needed
- Track record of timely verification of e-vouchers and proper documentation of evidence of proper execution of the programme or discrepancies in vouchers.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.fao.org.