FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
•FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations leads international efforts to defeat hunger and to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. With over 194 member states, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide. We believe that everyone can play a part in ending hunger.
FAO’s Youth Committee was established in 2019 to tap into the potential of youth as catalysts for change and to spark a global youth movement. The Youth Committee later initiated the World Food Forum together with many youth partners from across the UN, as well as public and private institutions, which associated themselves with the World Food Forum.
As one of the main sponsors for the World Food Forum, FAO is searching for motivated volunteers to join and contribute to the World Food Forum.
In full alignment with the 2021 United Nations Food Systems Summit, the World Food Forum serves as the premier platform to engage and harness the passion of youth in order to galvanize action and identify solutions to the growing challenges facing our food systems and to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), such as achieving “Zero Hunger”.
The World Food Forum gathers major youth groups, influencers, companies, academic institutions, non-profits, governments, media and the public to drive awareness, engagement, advocacy and mobilize resources in support of food systems transformation.
The World Food Forum initiative is composed by different tracks which are the following:
- Youth Action: for facilitating policy engagement
- Innovation: leveraging innovation and actionable solutions.
- Education: – applying behavior change science/ creating systemic transformation at schools
- Cooking: sharing culinary traditions and recipes to discuss better consumption and production patterns
- Film: using the power of story-telling to raise key awareness and perspectives.
- Music: to bring people together.
- Marketing and Outreach: promote the WFF through a content and a variety of channels.
- Regional Coordination – bringing WFF activities to the local level.
- Partnerships – secure and nurture partners of the WFF.
- Foodicons – create and expand the new visual language for agrifood systems
- Young Scientists Group – ensure that science is at the core of all WFF activities
The volunteer will report to an assigned supervisor.
The volunteer may be assigned in a field relevant to activities and the events of the World Food Forum.
Tasks and responsibilities
The volunteer will perform the functions specified in the Terms of Reference (TOR) prepared by the hiring office before the beginning of the assignment and agreed by the volunteer.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have completed secondary school education.
- Working knowledge of at least one FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, French, English, Russian or Spanish).
- Knowledge of a second FAO language will be considered an asset.
- Be nationals of FAO Member Nations.
- Candidates must be aged 18 or older.
- Candidates should be able to adapt to an international multicultural environment, have good communication skills and be knowledgeable in the use of basic computer programmes.
- Candidates with family members (defined as brother, sister, mother, father, son or daughter) employed by FAO under any type of contractual arrangement are not eligible for the Volunteer Programme.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Relevant working experience in one of the below listed fields would be a strong asset:
- Thematic and academic support to policy dialogues
- Marketing and fundraising
- Event Management
Information to applicants
- Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non- and under-represented member nations as well as candidates from Small Island Developing States (SIDS), Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and Land-locked Developing Countries (LLDCs) are encouraged to apply to this Call for Expression of Interest.
- All applications will be reviewed and only qualified applicants will be directly contacted for interviews by the hiring office and contacted again, if selected.
- FAO does not provide any remuneration to volunteers.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills.
- You are requested to attach a letter of motivation and copy of your academic qualifications to the online profile.
- Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application.
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile.
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered.
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
To apply for this job please visit jobs.fao.org.