Website Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Supports the preparation of financial statements and maintenance of cash controls. Works within the financial procedures of DRC, municipal policies and procedures and in compliance with all national acts and legislation. The Finance Assistant supports the Finance Team Leader with reports for senior management in country.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
Archive and Filling
- Receipt of all paid documents, recording, stamping and reviewing of completion of documents
- Scanning finance documents on monthly basis and submitting for review before 20th of the following month
- Ensure recording and filling IRDA, LPOA, Signature verification and other compliance documents
- Maintain adequate filing system of financial documents
- Proper maintenance and cleanliness of the archive room
- Timely retrieval of documents for audit assignments, recording them and ensuring they are returned to archives
- Ensure that all docs were complete and stamped paid before scanned.
- Support the Finance Team Leader to Ensure weekly cash forecast/requirements are compiled for all departments.
- Follow up with the bank on receipt and attached supporting docs.
- Ensure adequate Petty cash is kept in office to cater small expenditures as per the Finance procedures.
- Processing payment and ensure all cheque and receipts are kept
- Prepare cash request from Beletweyne and shared with Finance Team Leader
- Conduct daily cash counts for office and submit the cash count sheets to AM/BM/Fin.TL
- Prepare monthly cash counts for office on last working day of the month and submit to Finance officer/Area Finance Team Leader
- Support the Finance Team Leader to update commitment cost to be recorded properly
- Prepare project Journals as per the Finance calendar.
- Post cost POs through Dynamics to reconcile payments.
- Record partner financial documents in project expenses journals and share Finance team leader for review.
- Ensure that statutory deductions are paid to relevant authorities on time to avoid any penalties.
- Support the Finance Officer in liaison with Logistics department, prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered into but not captured in financial reports.
- Process all payments with full supporting documents and ensure that documents were approved by staff in IDRA and are including bank signatories for Cheque and transfer payments.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Review Area office scanned documents before forwarding to Area Finance Team Leader/Country Finance Coordinators.
- Conduct regular compliance checks on Area offices.
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building also provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance. If additional support is required coordinate with CO Finance Coordinator.
- Support the Country Finance Team in internal and external audit process Director/HoFA/RO and HQ.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
One year Experience in Finance with an International Organization in Somalia.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration. (Technical College (Govt. approved)
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
- Arabic is desirable
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the country team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead initiatives at country operation level by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to beneficiaries, staff and other stakeholders; and you communicate concisely and persuasively
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values and set a very clear standard for your country team members.
Availability: 10th October 2022.
Duty station: Beletweyne.
Reporting to: Base Manager.
Duration: 3 Month with possibility of extension based on performance and funding.
Contract: This position is graded as Band I2- None Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to National only.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 1st October 2022.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/job support.
To apply for this job please visit candidate.hr-manager.net.