Website Medic Mobile
The Finance Officer role involves ensuring that all activity is converted to meaningful financial data and on-time tracking of entity transactions and internal budgets to achieve optimum planning and compliant reporting to donors. This is achieved through proper accounting & bookkeeping, variance analysis, payroll management and providing support to the functional teams, compliance initiatives, audits and contracts management.
The position plays a key role in identifying opportunities and evaluating potential outcomes for recommended business decisions the organization may face. This position will work closely with our team of accountants in the US, Kenya, and Nepal as well as non-finance teammates around the world.
- Employment Status: Full-time
- Location: United States; limited domestic and international travel
Accounting and day-to-day bookkeeping. (30%)
- Maintenance of books of accounts covering processing of payments, preparation and maintenance of cash books, bank reconciliations, uploading to Sage Intacct, JEs and managing financial filing system.
- Monthly reconciliation of Balance Sheet accounts (Staff ledgers, Payroll accounts and other accounts).
- Reconcile, close monthly accounts and help with facilitation of external audits.
- Maintain an up-to-date fixed asset register and associated depreciation schedules.
- Partner with teammates to support continuous improvement in procurement processes and ensure compliance with established policies including purchase requisitions and cost allocations.
- Verify Travel Expense claim and other reimbursements in Expensify as per Medic policies and process for payment.
- Payroll preparation and administration of employee compensation. (Permanent staff, International Contractors and External contractors).
- Maintain working knowledge of US Federal and State payroll regulations in order to ensure organizational compliance with all appropriate labor laws.
Budget Management and Forecasting (30%)
- Collaborate with departmental leaders to build team budgets aligned with funding sources.
- Work closely with External Affairs and Programs team to understand Grant and Contract funding pipelines
- Support annual budgeting process, with direction from Comptroller and CEO
- Participate in quarterly forecasting process for the global team
- Provide robust forecasting of cash liquidity and advise the management team of cash flow outlook
Analysis and Reporting (30%)
- Consolidate and analyze financial data (budgets, income statement forecasts etc.) taking into account company’s goals and financial standing
- Enhance cost control and compliance standards by driving quarterly internal audit processes including but not limited to review of expenditures, cash receipts, expense documentation, etc.
- Support Comptroller and Leadership Team members with additional analysis or responsibilities as requested
Internal Training (10%)
- Support Comptroller and Finance teammates to roll out improved financial management software
- Support Comptroller and Finance teammates to roll out budget management training for Managers
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Proficient in spreadsheets, MS Office, and financial software applications
- Strong cross-cultural awareness and passion for working in a diverse environment
- Proven knowledge of financial forecasting, corporate finance, and information analysis
- Attention to detail
- Strong adherence to deadlines
- Excellent communication skills (writing and speaking) in English. Must be able to express thoughts and opinions clearly and concisely
- Proven ability to work independently
- Minimum qualification: BS degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field
- A minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience working in finance and accounting
- Must be flexible with working hours to communicate with international offices
- Experience with non-profit accounting a plus
- Experience working with bilateral or multilateral funders a plus (USAID, Global Fund, Gavi, etc.)
Purpose & Impact
- Ability to create and see real impact in your work
- Freedom to take initiative and innovate, bonus of an agile, small team
- Work for a globally awarded social enterprise recognized for developing a solution that can create global systems change in the health sector
- Work with a value and mission driven team that is consistently described as warm, incredibly kind and supportive
- Exposure to a diverse team: over 15 different nationalities
- Opportunities for global travel: all team meet-up + functional team meet-up + field visits
Work/Life & Growth
- Generous leave time: vacation, maternity/paternity, bereavement, & sick days
- Professional development funds & opportunities + 5 days off for prof dev
- Home Office Set up Stipend.
- Flexible, remote schedules
Medic is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 2010 to advance health and human flourishing with and for the hardest-to-reach communities. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is a secured human right. Practically, we have advanced our mission by building, implementing, and supporting open-source digital tools that support Community Health Workers, managers, and facility-based health workers. Along with our partners, we build and apply software that helps health workers deliver high-quality, equitable care in redesigned health systems. Our team and partners support more than 28,000 frontline health workers caring for an estimated 15 million people in 18 countries across Africa and Asia.
Each member of our team was drawn to this mission and emboldened by a vision of global health equity. Our diversity of skills and experiences helps us tackle complex challenges – we look forward to hearing from you and exploring ways to work together.
How to apply
To apply for this job please visit www.medic.org.