Indirect Tax Manager, Birmingham
Our VAT professionals help clients identify opportunities and mitigate indirect tax risks. They use their deep sector experience and knowledge of different legal and regulatory systems around the world to help clients meet their compliance obligations as well as achieve their business goals.
Our Indirect Tax professionals provide pragmatic commercial help so clients improve their day-to-day reporting for indirect tax. This includes improving working capital, reducing errors, reducing costs and ensuring indirect taxes are handled correctly. They advise how indirect taxes such as value added tax (VAT) or goods & services tax (GST) impinge on the client’s supply chain and financial and accounting systems.
We are looking for a highly experienced Manager to join our team based in Birmingham to help drive the VAT practice forward.
Your key responsibilities
Your people responsibilities:
- Enthusiastic manager with ability to create, support, sustain and lead effective teams
- Ensure delivery of quality work and take day to day leadership of delivery team
- Help people to develop through effectively supervising, coaching and mentoring staff
- Contribute to people initiatives, including retaining and training international tax professionals
- Significant involvement in the management of the team both in terms of strategy and operations and also through managing junior staff development and assignments
Your client responsibilities
- Build and maintain tax relationships with clients and provide exceptional levels of client service
- Negotiation skills, able to sustain opinion and handle challenges
- Business development skills – able to identify and convert opportunities to sell work by proactively managing existing clients and winning new clients.
- High level management of the successful delivery of technically complex and demanding consulting projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical / business driven approach taken
- Overall responsibility of quality of client service
- Manage possible leads from other areas of the practice
- Build networks and relationships internally and externally for the team to leverage from
- Contribute to successfully extracting maximum value for both EY and clients from the tax services delivered whilst managing risk appropriately for both client and the firm
Skill and attributes for success
- Business development skills, able to identify and convert opportunities to sell work
- Effective time management, ability to remain calm when under pressure to meet deadlines
- Excellent communicator in a range of situations both written and oral
To qualify for the role you must have
- Significant experience in VAT Tax from a large accountancy or in-house team
- ATT / ACA / CA / Tax Inspectors with full Technical Training course / Tax specialist qualification / or breadth of knowledge equivalent to a Tax specialist qualification
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Project management skills, plan and prioritise work, meet deadlines, monitor own budget
To apply for this job please visit careers.ey.com.