Website United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disasters and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in both developed and less developed countries. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction (SRSG), UNDRR has over 100 staff located in its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and in regional offices. Specifically, UNDRR guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyses action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk working with U.N. Member States and a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians and the science and technology community.
The internship is for a period of two to six months depending on the needs of each office. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
- Responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background, the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the UNDRR UN Disability Focal Point to comply with United Nations Disability Inclusion Strategy (UNDIS) requirements and to increase its systematic engagement towards disability inclusive disaster risk reduction agenda.
- Assist to identify evidence linked to sustainability of disability inclusion in DRR and climate change actions as an investment.
- Assist UNDRR UNDIS focal point in the preparation of the Global Platform disability related activities.
- Assist in drafting and preparing background documents, reports, issue briefs, talking points, articles, presentations etc.
- Support organization of meetings and conferences, side events to strengthen strategic engagement with UN system partners. Provide logistical and administrative support during meetings and conferences.
- Assist in maintaining databases, content of UNDRR partner workspaces, websites and mailing lists.
- Support the organization of internal and external meetings, events, webinars and expert group meetings. Assist in preparing training and learning events and other capacity building initiatives for Disaster Risk Reduction.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Interested candidates must be pursuing or pursued their degree in areas related to this Job Opening.
- In addition, interested candidates must:
- Be computer literate in standard software applications including MS Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point);
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and,
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English is required for this internship.
- Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
To apply for this job please visit careers.un.org.