About the Role
This is an exciting position for anyone wishing to contribute to positive change within the area of climate change and net-zero transition. This position would suit an ESG professional with a strong background within the field of climate change, preferably with a deep understanding of international norms and standards, such as the UNFCCC and disclosure standards such as the Taskforce on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD). This role offers the opportunity to engage with multi-national, and national, companies to bring about beneficial change in the company’s ESG performance. The role blends research and analysis, with company, client, and other stakeholder engagement, whilst providing written updates on progress in company engagement to clients.
Sustainalytics’ Stewardship team consists of around 40 individuals, across numerous ESG disciplines, who support clients in meeting their responsible investment objectives and facilitate active ownership strategies through engagement dialogue, which is delivered through a number of engagement programs covering material risks, global standards/norms and impact.
The ideal candidate will be a polished communicator with deep knowledge of the topic of climate change, including an understanding of the challenges faced by companies in addressing and aligning with the Paris Agreement. The candidate will have a good understanding of material ESG issues and best practices in effective corporate governance within the context of climate change, as well as strong stakeholder management skills. You will join a strategically important team and contribute to the development of a vibrant community of engagement specialists.
You will join a strategically important team and contribute to the development of a vibrant community of engagement specialists.
• On behalf of our institutional investor clients, identify financially material ESG issues and alignment with international conventions, for investee companies across several sectors.
• Understand the latest disclosure developments and initiatives, such as the TNFD.
• Research and develop strategies to engage with company representatives (including senior executives and board members) and relevant stakeholders.
• Undertake engagement with companies, through email, conference calls, telephone calls, and face-to-face meetings, on specific aspects of climate change with a material risk perspective, particularly with reference to science-based targets, TCFD and other climate-related disclosure, physical, transition risks and emission mitigation strategies. Be prepared to also cover broader ESG-related topics, performance gaps, appropriate ESG best-practice, and how to improve performance.
• Contribute to the development of intellectual capital and thought leadership through report-writing and public-facing activities.
• Work closely with Sustainalytics’ Commercial Engagement Team and Client Relations team to answer client enquiries and ensure a high degree of client satisfaction.
• Engage with stakeholders both internally and externally, to ensure that the program continues to develop to meet client expectations.
• Degree in a related discipline (climate change, environmental management, sustainable business, or other relevant qualification).
• Minimum five years of experience in responsible investment, consulting or corporate sustainability.
• ESG knowledge and expertise, covering climate-related legislation and disclosure guidelines.
• Experience in dealing with large-cap companies as well as institutional investors, in an international context.
Nice to have
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Self-motivated and target-driven, with the ability to work alone and drive engagement to agreed change objectives.
• Ability to establish dialogues with companies’ Investor Relations and/or Sustainability staff and to interact convincingly with both engagement companies and investors.
• Ability to work across cultures.
• Service-minded attitude and the ability to serve as a trusted advisor to clients and client advisors.
• Excellent research and analytical capabilities.
• Highly professional presentation skills (both in spoken and written formats).
• Ability to handle a variety of responsibilities and to deliver efficiently by prioritizing tasks.
• Creative thinking and problem-solving.
• Teamwork and collaboration.
• Alignment with Sustainalytics’ mission, vision, and values.
Sustainalytics is a Morningstar company dedicated to responsible investment with over 25 years’ experience in ESG research and ratings. With an extensive client base across asset managers, asset owners and investment banks, our mission is to provide the insights required for investors and companies to make more informed decisions that lead to a more just and sustainable global economy.
As Morningstar’s ESG center of excellence we are responsible for driving both the commercial success and innovation of its ESG products as well as its overall ESG strategy.
In these times, we rely on virtual team meetings and management practices, as well as a remote buddy program, to support a smooth integration in our virtual offices. New team members are onboarded and start their first day with the company from the safety of their homes.
For more information, visit www.sustainalytics.com
To apply for this job please visit morningstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.