ESA - European Space Agency
- Organization: ESA – European Space Agency
- Location: Darmstadt
- Grade: A2 – Grade band
- Occupational Groups:
- Operations and Administrations
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2022-06-10
Vacancy in the Directorate of Operations.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2–A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany
If selected for this position, you will report to the Head of the Mission Operations IT (MOI-IT) and Operations Control Centre (OCC) Section in the Ground Facilities Operations Division, Mission Operations Department, Directorate of Operations, and will be responsible for the coordination and end-to-end provision of services and facilities to all users of the mission operations infrastructure which consist of:
- the Operations Control Centre (OCC) at ESOC; and
- the Mission Operations IT (MOI-IT) services and facilities.
The main focus of this position will be to deliver new MOI-IT solutions and associated processes and services, until transfer to operation, as well as coordinate the resources assigned to activities defined in the short-term investment plan.
Furthermore, you will be responsible for ensuring the sourcing and availability of appropriate assets and services provided by third-party suppliers in accordance with OCC and MOI-IT end-to-end service sourcing strategy.
When nominated IT coordinator, you will additionally be responsible for the coordination and end-to-end provision of Mission Operations IT and OCC services and facilities to specific spacecraft missions.
The tasks and responsibilities include:
- Managing, as Technical Officer/Technical Responsible, service contracts (engineering, maintenance and operations) as required by assigned roles, ensuring service delivery in accordance with agreed Service Level Agreements, specifying requirements in close cooperation with customers as well as contributing to the creation of the related investment roadmap;
- Ensuring the provision of Mission Operations IT and OCC services to support routine and critical mission operations including launch preparation services and provision of the day-to-day interface with customers/missions;
- Managing the evolution of the service model in order to support increased externalisation and industrialisation of services procured under an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) approach;
- Supporting the integration, operations, maintenance and evolution of the security elements and services related to the Ground Facilities Operations (e.g. distributed Cybersecurity Operations Centre, Network Operations Centre) and ensuring a proper interface between the Cybersecurity Operations Centre and the ESOC Network Operations Centre;
- Maintaining, sustaining and evolving the MOI-IT services and relevant facilities;
- For MOI-IT and OCC related projects, preparing and managing corresponding procurement activities with industry and acting as Project Manager;
- Steering of and/or participation in working groups and governance bodies related to evolution of the infrastructure and provided services;.
- Ensuring compliance of the operations and services with the applicable security policies and the established ISMS process;
- When assigned to the role (PSSO) as intended, overseeing all IT security aspects of the day-to-day operations of the MOI-IT installation and acting as main business interface with the ESA Security Office.
You will closely interface with all flight operations teams and mission managers at ESOC, with the representatives of the Ground Systems Engineering and Innovation Department and with internal providers of site, OCC and IT services.
A Master’s degree in information communication technology (ICT) is required for this post.
In-depth experience is required in the following information technology areas: cloud services/virtualisation, computer systems, service automation, network communications, IT security.
Experience in managing IT projects, IT operations and service management (preferably under ITIL) is required, including incident, problem and change management, and experience in IT operations under DevOps service model.
Experience in the deployment or operation of cybersecurity infrastructure is an asset.
A demonstrated proactive approach is expected, in particular to continuous service improvement.
You should have strong results-oriented and planning capabilities, coupled with very good problem-solving skills and a pronounced customer focus.
You should have good communication and negotiating skills, be able to work in a diverse team environment and accomplish goals in line with team objectives.
You must be eligible for security clearance by your national security administration.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us email [email protected].
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention, the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States*. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented or balanced Member States*. (https://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/careers/NationalityTargets.pdf)
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment conducted by an external background screening service.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.
*Member States, Associate Members or Cooperating States.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.esa.int.