Job DescriptionSummary of key functions:
The Humanitarian Affairs Officer will support the head of OCHA sub-office in Amhara region in facilitating coordination efforts to address humanitarian needs. He/She will work under the overall supervision of OCHA head of sub-office in Amhara region. The incumbent will be based in Bahir Dar and will work closely with the regional, zonal and woreda authorities in coordinating humanitarian action in the region.
Specific duties include:
- Work closely with the regional authorities, UN agencies, NGOs and other partners as appropriate to ensure functional and effective coordination mechanisms in the region;
- Assist the head of sub-office in organizing and facilitating field missions of OCHA staff, donors and other visitors and briefing on the overall humanitarian situation as well as the activities of OCHA and other humanitarian agencies in the region;
- Facilitate and undertake joint assessments of humanitarian needs in Amhara region to inform response planning and implementation.
- Monitor, analyze and report on humanitarian development, emergency or relief management in Amhara region;
- Maintain a close working relationship with regional, zonal and woreda government officials, NGOs, UN agencies, Red Cross Movement and local organizations to establish a cooperative network to enhance humanitarian agenda;
- Work closely with and support the regional early warning system in monitoring and reporting on hazards and its impact on communities in the region;
- Attend regular coordination and information sharing meetings as determined by the head of sub-office and assist in preparing for meetings and conferences as required;
- Work with partners in the region to ensure that information management products such as 3Ws, contact list, and briefing packs are in place and are regularly updated;
- Work with humanitarian counterparts to ensure that cross-cutting issues such as gender and protection are embedded in the humanitarian program cycle;
- Promote the dissemination and understanding of OCHA’s mandate, the humanitarian principles, and humanitarian code of conduct amongst partners in assigned areas;
- Perform other duties as may be required by the OCHA Head of sub-office in Amhara region.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNOCHA’s mission, vision, and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion and ethnic sensitivity and adaptability
- Client Orientation
- Communication & Networking
Job RequirementEducation: Advanced or first degree in political science, social sciences, public administration, international studies, economics, or related area
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Afaris language (oral and written) is required. Being able to interpret/translate relevant communications, reports, and/or documents from the local language of the region into English is a requirement
- Zero years of experience with an Advanced Degree and a minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience in humanitarian affairs with good field experience with first degree.
- UN or NGO experience required
- Proven ability in working in an inter-agency environment
- Availability for travel in the region as and when is required
- Ability to build and lead field teams under difficult and insecure conditions.
Duty Station: Bahir Dar, Amhara Region
Duration: Initially until 31 December 2022
How to ApplyClosing Date for Application: 08 June 2022
Interested applicants must submit their CVs, letter of motivation, and supporting documents to:
Administration/ Finance Section
P.O. Box 60252