A new position in our international office structure, the Operations and Finance Manager will be joining our growing team in Australia to ensure continued business growth and to manage all aspects of the operations and financial requirements of the country office. Currently we are a small team spread across Australia with a shared office space in Canberra. This role would be ideal for someone looking to work in a flexible role as part a small team that is having a positive impact across the Pacific and Southeast Asia.
Key Primary Responsibilities
- Ensuring the office and country operations are run efficiently, leading operational and business management including business systems, policy, processes, HR, IT and resources
- Provide advice to the Country Director on all donor and corporate compliance requirements
- Lead the review, development and implementation of efficient, robust financial procedures and policies for the OPM Australia office in line with Microsoft Dynamics
- Manage and report on OPM Australia’s financial systems and processes. This will include accounts receivable and processing, reconciliations, compliance, budgeting, management of client finances including internal reporting, intercompany agreements and invoicing.
- Lead the development of fit for purpose policies and procedures addressing business and client compliance and develop and provide ongoing training of staff and contractors
Responsible for the operations of the Australian office, including:
- Ensure OPM Australia is compliant for both external (statutory and contractual) and internal policy requirements, leading reviews and updates as required.
- Manage relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including Company Directors, legal counsel, Finance, HR, IT and financial institutions to progress required tasks and to ensure timely resolution of issues
- In collaboration with the Country Director and Global Functional leads, plan, develop and implement business solutions for all operational management systems and processes, including supporting the implementation of the Clarity Programme.
- Overseeing the management of the company assets, office suppliers and contractors including management of leases and service delivery contracts.
- In consultation with the Country Director, maintain internal compliance documents, including current risk register and legal questionnaires, ensuring escalation of risks to the appropriate functional lead and follow-up for resolution.
- Leading and reviewing all insurances annually to ensure compliance.
- Management of administrative support to the Australian office as per office requirements.
- Assist with recruitment and negotiations with local external contractors and project staff.
Responsible for finance policies and procedures for the office in collaboration with OPM Oxford ensuring consistency with all internal policies, processes and procedures including:
- Review financial procedures and controls, identify efficiencies and develop and implement improved procedures.
- Prepare invoices, payment, advance and journal vouchers and comply with federal, state, and company regulations.
- Manage the relationship with external bookkeeper and oversee the preparation of monthly cashbooks, bank reconciliation and other monthly financial reports for OPM Australia, reporting to OPM Oxford as required.
- Prepare budgets for a variety of stakeholders including clients, OPM management, project managers and financial teams. Responsibility for intercompany agreements, invoicing and transfer pricing requirements.
- Coordinate with and manage external Auditors for timely completion of Audits.
- Management of any other finance or office management process or systems as reasonably requested by the Country Director.
- Other finance-related tasks as required.
- Support project and business development administration as required.
Professional/Technical Skills, Knowledge & Experience required:
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in a senior role leading business operations and finance
- Minimum of an undergraduate qualification in business, law, commerce, or finance (or equivalent relevant qualification), or commensurate experience
- Strong commercial awareness with an understanding of Australian financial regulations and tax requirements
- Skilled in identifying inefficiencies, and ability to develop solutions to improve service delivery
- Able to work with a high degree of autonomy across a matrixed structure of international finance and international operations teams
- Demonstrated ability to define and write/adjust polices to ensure they cover legal requirements in Australia
- Ability to work independently with high quality work delivery with attention to detail
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organisational skills as requirement to manage multiple stakeholders
- Where required, coach and develop other team members to support Operations in Australia and potentially the region where appropriate
- Be an active member of the Operations team globally and support improvements where required
- Ability to recognise and meet essential deadlines and prioritise workload
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with people at all levels as part of a small team based across a range of locations.
- Willingness to work across different time zones
- Willingness to be based in Canberra (no relocation payments available)
Please apply via the portal on the OPM careers page before the closing date. We look forward to receiving your application.
About the Organization
We are an international development consultancy committed to helping low- and middle-income countries achieve growth and reduce poverty and disadvantage through public policy reform.
Working in all areas of social and economic policy and governance, we seek to bring about lasting positive change through analytical and practical policy expertise. Through our global network of offices, we work in partnership with national decision makers to research, design, implement, and evaluate impactful public policy in over 100 countries.
We draw on our local and international sector experts, alongside a network of expert associates and dedicated support staff, to provide the very best evidence-based support