Website Rio Tinto
Operations and Logistics Superintendent
- Opportunity to work for global company
- Our culture is inclusive, exciting and performance-driven
- Role based in Johannesburg
About the role
We are looking for Operations and Logistics Superintendent to be at the forefront of developing and implementing a safe and sustainable field work environment for RTX, principally for drilling operations. This is a highly diverse and complex role that requires excellence in planning and leadership as well as relevant drilling technical expertise.
Reporting to the Regional O&L Manager and in conjunction with the AER Drilling SME you will:
- Assist and participate in decision making that enables planning and execution of field campaigns in a safe and efficient manner, which is compliant with regulations
- Manage field operations related tasks according to relevant Rio Tinto processes, including field camp management, security, contract management for drilling, earth moving, processing and other service providers, budgeting and work estimates, scheduling and logistics, acquisitions and supply chain management
- Manage the operations and logistics team as well as contractors ensuring that they comply both with Rio Tinto’s internal as well as locally legislated requirements for workplace safety
- Manage the reporting and recommendations associated with field operations
- Ensure that the drilling support priorities are met across AER.
- Ensure that the delivery of the drilling supervision capability development programme is achieved.
- Ensure that the key aspects of drilling contracts and contractor management that further enhance safety and drilling performance are regularly discussed with our drilling companies.
- Ensure that the AER has consistent representation on the RTX Drilling Working Group
Whilst the role will principally cover the Southern Africa sub-region, there may be requirement to travel more broadly. The intention is to base the role in South Africa.
The ideal candidate for this role will be self-motivated and able to build solid collaborative relationships with a range of stakeholders including drilling companies, local community representatives, local government authorities, NGO’s active in the district, Project Team leaders, HSE Team members, Exploration Managers and other Country/Base/Programme Coordinators.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team.
- Background and/or expert level knowledge in remote logistics operations. Competence in field operations planning and related risk management would be beneficial.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience working in operational support, contractor management and outdoor operations.
- Hands on skills and technical knowledge and experience which enable you to manage a variety of equipment required in field operations.
- Experience in mining exploration is not essential but would be highly beneficial.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong IT skills including proficiency in MS Office.
- Strong project management skills, including management of service providers, and the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Uncompromising priority for safety and desire to work in an organisation where safety, collaboration, mutual respect, integrity and excellence are valued.
Where you will be working
The mandate of RTX is to grow the value of Rio Tinto by discovering or acquiring resources that can increase future cash-flows. This is achieved through the effective application of Geoscience techniques and processes, taking account of HSE, CSP, economic, commercial and political factors.
The Operations and Logistics (O&L) team supervise large numbers of field support staff, contractors and in some areas, local labour workforces with varying skill levels.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.riotinto.com.