Website Grassroots Reconciliation Group
Peacebuilding and fundraising internship with child soldier org, Northern Uganda
The Grassroots Reconciliation Group (GRG), an innovative peacebuilding and development organization that works with former child soldiers and refugees, is seeking an intern to join our team in northern Uganda. Founded in 2007, GRG implements projects that rebuild lives and promote reconciliation among war-affected and refugee communities. Our locally designed and culturally appropriate interventions include trauma and SGBV counselling and intervention, community and refugee reconciliation activities, village microfinance and financial literacy training, livelihood instruction, community farming and livestock projects, community-building theatre, and more. Working closely with our beneficiaries, GRG provides overall guidance as beneficiaries work hand-in-hand to achieve group and individual goals.
We are seeking an intern to be based in Gulu, Uganda to boost our social media and fundraising. Duties and responsibilities of the internship include:
- Conducting research on grant making foundations, embassies, and other fundraising opportunities
- Drafting grant proposals for foundation and other donor grants.
- Running online fundraising campaigns through social media and crowd funding sites.
- Assisting in monitoring and evaluation of projects and maintaining the data base
- Supporting GRG’s communication strategy through documentation, photo, video, website/blog updates, newsletter, and engagement of different stakeholders.
- If a candidate has particular skills (agriculture, psychology, microfinance, etc.), GRG would be very happy to develop a placement making maximum use of these skills and interest both in the field and at the office.
- There will also be time where the intern can work on his or her own research projects.
- Any other duties delegated to the intern by the immediate supervisor.
These internships are mainly aimed at graduate students and /or professionals with a background in conflict resolution, peace studies, psychology, or international development with a particular flair for social media and fundraising.
- Knowledge of sustainable development and conflict resolution.
- Good cross-cultural communication skills.
- Good writing and research skills.
- Skills and experience in grant writing.
- Strong social media skills including Instagram and Tik Tok, and current sound and visual trends. The intern will collaborate with the program director and outreach officer to create original content for social media outreach and engagement.
- Knowledge of northern Uganda and South Sudan a plus.
- Previous volunteer experience in developing or post-conflict context a plus.
Note: The internship is unpaid (Interns from abroad will be expected to cover their own flights, living costs, and health insurance), but provides excellent field experience at a peace-building NGO in a post-conflict setting in Africa. The Country Director will provide close mentoring and professional development support.
Duration for Internship: 4 to 6 months starting October 2022. However, alternative proposals (including different start dates or altered duration) may be considered for exceptional candidates to be based in Gulu, northern Uganda.
Successful applicants will be contacted directly for Zoom or Skype interviews.
How to apply
Send a CV and cover letter to our Gulu office at [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected].