Principal, Climate Strategy & Delivery
Posting Date: 22-Sep-2022
Location: London, GB
|Office Country||United Kingdom|
|Division||Policy and Partnerships|
|Posting End Date||13/10/2022|
Purpose of Job
The Principal, Nature Finance and Policy (P-NFP), supports the formulation and implementation of the business strategy of the EBRD in the area of nature finance and markets development. She/he takes active part in the design and execution of all related deliverables and support the Lead Climate Adaptation and Resilience coordinate CSD delivery in this important and growing area of work with a focus on business delivery as well as policy dialogue and capacity building activities.
In coordination with all relevant policy and business functions in CSD (and more broadly, in VP3) the P-NFP works with sector teams in Banking and the Environment and Sustainability Department (ESD) to scale-up nature finance and enhance nature related components of projects and clients’ operations, including pursuing nature co-benefits in projects with climate mitigation and adaptation outcomes. The P-NFP is also the key counterpart with ESD and Risk in relation to the development of methodologies and tools for screening and assessing nature risks at the project/client level and for supporting the attribution and tracking of nature finance in EBRD financing operations.
The P-NFP supports the CSD-SBI Director, the Lead Climate Adaptation and Resilience, and in general CSD Management in the interactions with external partners and initiatives in the area of nature finance and policy.
This newly created role will be critical to scaling up EBRD’s activities in this vital area, operating at the intersection of investment, policy and markets.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Lead the development and application of approaches for identifying and implementing nature positive investments across all Bank operations and sectors of activity, including both direct and intermediated finance financing channels.
- Lead the research of business models and market based solutions that can be applicable to the EBRD clients to scale up nature positive finance. Support Banking colleagues in the application of these models and solutions to transactions.
- Identify and execute policy dialogue and capacity building activities aiming at supporting the growth of the market for nature investments with a particular focus on instruments, policies and financial products, which mobilise private sector finance and participation.
- Actively contribute to the integration of nature related considerations in climate policy and strategies at national, regional and sectoral level; support the design and execution of policy dialogue engagements to promote nature related reforms at a client and country level.
- Provide technical and analytical inputs to support the formulation of the strategy and operational approach of the EBRD in the area of nature and biodiversity, including at the intersection with climate resilience/adaptation.
- In coordination with the Environmental and Sustainability Department and Risk Management, support project teams in Banking with the review and assessment of EBRD projects across all economic sectors to:
- Assess exposure to nature related risks that may need to be addressed during the project cycle.
- Identify and attribute nature finance.
- Determine the role of nature investments to achieve additional co-benefits e.g. climate resilience enhancement.
- Work alongside the Environmental and Sustainability Department and Risk Management on the further development and application of tools, standards and approaches to identify, assess and manage nature related risks at the project/client level, across EBRD investment operations and policy activities.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
Main qualifications, experience and skills
- Master’s degree (preferably) in biology, nature/climate science, environmental sustainability, engineering, economics, risk management, or relevant experience applicable to nature and biodiversity.
- Experience in structuring nature/climate/green investments with proven exposure to nature related approaches and methodologies.
- Excellent understanding of biodiversity, ecosystems and the approaches, methodologies, tools and analytics to assess nature and climate risks and the implications of degradation of eco-systems and climate change in terms of commercial, economic and social impacts.
- Good understanding of methodologies for risk analysis and management.
- Excellent computer literacy, with understanding of modelling, data management and processing.
- Familiarity with geospatial data and GIS programmes (e.g. ArcGIS) is desirable but not required.
- Good understanding of policy analysis and policy formulation in the areas of nature, biodiversity, climate change, climate resilience, infrastructure development.
- Understanding of business and finance principles.
- Experience in emerging markets and developing countries would be advantageous.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills in English and, preferably, in another language of the Bank (French, Russian or Arabic).
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Influencing, negotiation and relationship building skills, with both internal and external partners.
- Result-oriented, self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner.
- Familiarity with role and requirements of EBRD and/or other international financing institutions and/or development agencies.
- Relationship management skills: experience in engaging with diverse stakeholders for project preparation or implementation tasks, consulting and advisory and/or policy development.
- Experience and familiarity in working within multicultural projects and teams.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.
Job Segment: Risk Management, Sustainability, Relationship Manager, Geology, Finance, Energy, Customer Service, Strategy, Engineering
To apply for this job please visit jobs.ebrd.com.