Resonance is seeking candidates that are local nationals to serve as Private Sector Engagement (PSE) and Partnership Lead for the USAID/Indonesia Ber-IKAN Activity, which is a five-year project expected to start implementation in June 2022. The Collaborative Fisheries Management or “Ber-IKAN” Activity seeks to advance Indonesia’s self-reliance to protect marine biodiversity by improving sustainable and equitable management of fisheries. This 5-year project contributes to the 2020-2024 USAID Indonesia Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS), and focuses on the following four main objectives:
- Improved adoption of and compliance with evidence-based fisheries policies for priority fisheries.
- Strengthened small-scale fisheries governance.
- Increased government and market-based incentives for sustainable seafood products.
- Improved protection of ETP marine species affected by fishing practices.
RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The PSE and Partnership Lead will oversee the design and implementation of strategies and activities under USAID Ber-IKAN Activity Objective 3. “Increased Government and Market-Based Incentives for Sustainable Seafood.” The PSE and Partnership Lead will lead the development of a PSE and partnership strategy and initiatives to advance sustainable seafood and more resilient supply chains and improving economic benefits for coastal communities in Indonesia – exploring, implementing, and advocating for opportunities to engage the private sector, Government of Indonesia (GOI), and community/fisher groups in innovative, partnerships to advance USAID Ber-IKAN goals. S/he will provide technical expertise on PSE, mobilizing finance and investment, and public-private partnership development. S/he will also represent Resonance on PSE, supply chain and investment issues at technical, policy and strategic planning meetings, including meetings with the GOI and donors.
The PSE and Partnership Lead will be responsible for carrying out the following duties:
- PSE & PARTNERSHIPS
- Lead an initial scoping exercise, to map the landscape of potential and relevant private sector, public sector, and NGO partners to engage in improving sustainability and increasing private sector investment in target fisheries and supply chains.
- Develop an initial set of potentially high-value PSE and partnership concepts that foster more resilient supply chains and sustainable fisheries, and work with the Resonance home office and project leadership to prioritize these ideas for development.
- Lead Resonance’s PSE and partnership assessment to interview a range of representatives from the private sector, communities, and public sector to understand business interests and challenges and to assess possible areas for partnership.
- Lead discussions and negotiations with private sector, public sector, and NGO partners.
- Lead formation of partnerships, including the development of partnership agreements and/or Memoranda of Understandings.
- Provide technical leadership for the design, formalization, and management of innovative partnerships with the private sector, NGOs and public sector.
- Coordinate with other donors, local organizations, and Indonesian government agencies to ensure harmonization of PSE and partnership activities.
- Support partnership management, implementation, monitoring & evaluation, and reporting.
- FINANCE & INVESTMENT
- Support Ber-IKAN Consortium partner and consultants to core the investment and finance readiness of each target fishery and province and then prepare investment cases for each fishery.
- Create a landscape map of GOI MSME financing programs and banks/fintech/investors with the potential to invest in target fisheries and communities.
- Identify and develop partnerships with government and private sector actors to support SSF KUBs, bumdes and MSMEs to invest in value addition, supply chain improvements, and infrastructure to build resilience, strengthen connections to high-value supply chains, and diversify income.
- Support the development of innovative financing tools to promote private sector investment in sustainable fisheries management and coastal community resilience.
- ASSOCIATION STRENGTHENING
- Engage and maintain relationships with key industry associations in priority fisheries.
- Conduct business model exercises with industry associations to refine and develop services that will increase engagement by member companies and expand membership.
- Engage associations to expand portfolios of constituent associations representing SSF and traders and with NGOs and community groups to collaborate via co-management structures.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (business administration, international development, operations management, fisheries management, natural resource economics, etc)
- At least eight years of relevant professional experience in sustainable fisheries, supply chains micro/small enterprise development, innovative finance/investment, and/or community development (can substitute two years of experience with a Master’s).
- Prior experience engaging or working with international donors (like USAID), foundations or reputed NGOs.
- Experience in cross-sectoral and cross-team collaboration.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills; some level of comfort speaking to diverse and large groups.
- A strong ability to use Microsoft Office products, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word and provide quality written products and excel analysis.
- Ability to travel domestically
- Eligibility to work in Indonesia without sponsorship.
PREFERRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Experience working on PSE and/or partnership building with development and/or fisheries projects.
- Experience/knowledge of fisheries or seafood supply chains in Indonesia.
- Experience developing partnerships between private sector actors, NGOs, business associations and local and national government.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position operates in a professional office environment, and routinely requires the use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, printers, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
As a part of the responsibilities for this job, the employee is required to communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express oneself, and exchange information orally and in writing with others. The employee must be able to remain in a stationary position, sitting at a desk for prolonged periods, move or traverse inside the office and facilities; operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place, detect, or position computers and other office equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine, furniture, and computer printer. The employee must be able to make substantial repetitive motions of the wrists, hands and fingers. The employee must be able to lift and move up to 15lbs at times.
WORK AUTHORIZATION / SECURITY CLEARANCE
Indonesian Citizenship / Indonesian Work Authorization is required.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of Resonance is to provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. Resonance hires and promotes individuals solely based on their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Resonance believes that employees should be provided with a working environment which enables each associate to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
We expect and require the cooperation of all employees in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or emails please.
About the Organization
Come grow with us! If you are a passionate change agent who thrives in a collaborative, entrepreneurial and inclusive, culture committed to operational excellence, we would like to meet you.
At Resonance, you get involved in the work, in the field, not just in the deck. Our teams are autonomous and self-sufficient. You get to weigh in with founders and leaders on how to drive change and grow the movement while growing the company.
Resonance is an award-winning, Certified B Corporation consultancy that delivers market-based solutions to address the world’s toughest challenges. We enable a variety of donor, commercial, and investor clients around the world to catalyze lasting impact. Resonance seeks to catalyze large-scale social, environmental, and economic change by fostering new and dynamic forms of collaboration. We do this by fostering public-private partnerships, facilitating sustainable investment, and providing deep analytical insights in frontier markets.