Website Solidarity Center
Please Note: Solidarity Center staff enjoy a hybrid telework/in-person schedule. We also have a mandatory vaccine policy and safety protocols in all our facilities. All candidates applying for this role will be expected to adhere to these policies and to work in the Washington, D.C. office a minimum of three days per week unless an ADA or health-related exemption is approved.
Solidarity Center is offering an entry-level program position for an communications savvy individual aspiring to develop the skills and knowledge to become a Program Officer in the field of international development and/or worker rights. This is a 50/50 position, split between the Communications and Rule of Law (ROL) departments. The Program Assistant must stay current on U.S. and global political, economic, social and labor movement developments. The Program Assistant may be assigned to either department based on the needs of Solidarity Center and at the discretion of the ROL and Communications directors. Under their guidance and with an attention to detail, the candidate will help draft grant proposals and reports; handle multiple tasks related to program development and the production of communications products; and help with travel arrangements and payments to vendors. The Program Assistant will prepare and exchange information with other sections of the Solidarity Center and may be asked to attend external meetings or conferences on behalf of Solidarity Center.
- Keen attention to detail
- Experience utilizing social media, including graphics creation using Canva or similar software, for promotional purposes
- Experience with the Adobe suite, including InDesign (highly desirable but not required)
- Experience working or having membership in a trade union (highly desirable but not required)
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Excellent tech skills (highly desirable but not required)
- Familiarity with MailChimp (or other blast email systems) and Monday.com, highly desired
- Basic computer literacy for word processing and simple spreadsheets
- Basic knowledge of international relations issues
- Ability to set up and smoothly run Zoom webinars, including registration
- Ability to work as a team player and to interact easily with a wide variety of people
- Degree in political science, international relations, journalism/mass communications, labor relations or related fields and/or a minimum of three years pertinent work experience
- Fluency in a foreign language is a plus
- Conduct issue research;
- Draft and edit proposals, reports, letters, and other correspondence;
- Help with production of the daily news digest, Media Mentions;
- Respond to field office requests for information and resource materials;
- Coordinate activities with the Solidarity Center’s other program and functional offices;
- Relate to outside organizations;
- Juggle various tasks and meet deadlines;
- Provide coverage at the front desk as needed, or assist other departments that experience temporary administrative staff shortages and
- Perform routine, basic administrative tasks and other related duties as assigned
This is a collective bargaining unit position, generously compensated with a gross annual salary starting at approximately $59,000 USD. A robust benefits package includes health insurance that is fully paid by Solidarity Center, life insurance, a retirement plan and pension, and ample paid time off for holidays, vacation, and medical leave.
The Solidarity Center cultivates the values of diversity, equality, and inclusion among its staff and partners. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under applicable law. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodations to apply for this position, please contact us at [email protected].
For Candidates Applying from the AFL-CIO: Solidarity Center works in partnership with the AFL-CIO on recruiting and filling positions. For that reason, our policy is to notify the AFL-CIO prior to interviewing any of its current employees.
To apply for this job please visit solidaritycenter.bamboohr.com.