Food and Agriculture Organization
The project GCP/GLO/086/ROK: Smart and Sustainable Aquaculture through Effective Biosecurity and Digital Technology has an overall objective of supporting countries in the sustainable development of systems and practices using smart/digital technologies to reduce biosecurity shocks and risks, leading to effective aquatic animal health management, sustainable production practices within environmental carrying capacities, enhancing protection and ensuring food safety. At the end of project implementation the expected impact is that country and stakeholder beneficiaries will adapt and effectively implement biosecurity governance, systems and practices to support a sustainable, responsible, healthy and safe aquaculture that contributes to food security, improved nutrition, decent work and economic growth.
The Project Management Specialist reports directly to the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), and will work closely with the Fisheries Specialist and Project Lead Technical Officers.
The incumbent will undertake the overall management of the Sri Lanka component of the above mentioned project according to an agreed work plan, including but not limited to planning, budgeting, implementation and assessment of the project achievements against its objectives. The position holder will ensure strong coordination and partnership with government institutions and stakeholders as well as the other project beneficiaries.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Manage day-to-day project activities including preparation of the project detailed annual work-plans, monitoring of the budget distribution and utilization, review of reports/inputs from the service providers and monitoring the progress of the project implementation in collaboration with the Project Team (based at FAOHQ), the project stakeholders and local authorities;
- Coordinate with the government institutions especially the NARA, NAQDA and other relevant ministries (e.g. trade/commerce, information, etc.) and entities from the industry and academe for the implementation of the project;
- Manage local consultants, implementing partners (e.g., CA designated focal points for different Outputs) and other service providers for project activities, and facilitate interactions between the different partners to ensure smooth and coordinated implementation of different activities/outputs of the project;
- Work closely in collaboration with the Project Team to ensure high quality & timely delivery of planned project activities in compliance with FAO administrative and financial rules and regulations;
- Liaise closely with FAO project partners and stakeholders (at appropriate country administrative levels, e.g. district, provincial, etc.) and ensure general supervision and coordination of project activities as well as smooth implementation of the project field activities;
- Lead the organization of virtual events, sectoral assessments, national technical meetings, workshops and training and other capacity building sessions related to the project and project meetings with the government, national partners, and other stakeholders;
- Organize the missions of Project Team and international consultants and provide translation support (if necessary);
- In collaboration with the supervisor, prepare all required documents, e.g. activities/meetings reports, budget utilization status, budget revision justification (if needed), technical reports, and other expected project documentation outputs including advocacy and visibility materials, briefing documents and related information; including other reports/information that may be required by the Project Team.
- Prepare a project M&E plan as well as project communication and visibility strategy and implementation plan.
- Lead the identification of issues that may hamper project implementation and provide recommendations for their resolutions.
- Participate in regular Project Team meetings
- Contribute to the preparation of Project Progress and Final Reports; and
- Perform any other duties as required.
Candidates Will Be Assessed Against The Following
- Advanced university degree in International development, Natural Resource Management, Aquaculture, Health Management and other related field
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in Project Coordination and Implementation
- Working knowledge of English, oral and written
- National of Sri Lanka.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point).
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in the field is essential.
- Extent and relevance of experience or knowledge of and in provision of project management in fisheries/aquaculture management and conservation bodies is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing national and international meetings, seminars and training courses.
- Extent and relevance of experience in one or more of the main areas including natural resource management, aquaculture, health management and other related fields
- Extent of experience in project formulation / project management, including formulation, work planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting.
- Experience in coordinating and liaising with industry, academia, national authorities, UN agencies, donors, intergovernmental organizations, and non-governmental organizations.
- Familiarity with the UN System and /or development sector is an asset.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.fao.org.