Green Climate Fund Incheon,
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their people. Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions that reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change. Since its establishment, the GCF has approved 192 projects in 123 countries and has committed USD 10.1 billion in climate finance. In addition, it has built up an extensive program to support developing countries to identify their needs, in particular, those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts. The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff makes unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
The Project Specialist, reporting to the Manager of the Simplified Approval Process (SAP), is responsible for developing and sustaining a pipeline of investments in different climate sectors under the SAP modality. The Project Specialist will be responsible for the coordination of the review of certain SAP project proposals as well leading and contribute in a set of activities related to the technical support in project development to be extended to the GCF Accredited Entities (AEs), in particular Direct Access Entities (DAEs) and the GCF National Designated Authorities and Focal Points (NDAs).
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage or support, as required, the assessment of SAP concept notes and funding proposals and negotiation of Funded Activity Agreements;
- Coordinate the review of SAP projects and programmes reviewed through the support of external consultants.
- Provide technical input into investment and assessment-related policy documents, operational guidelines, reports and tools to sustain project/programme, or pipeline relevance to align with the organization mission; and
- Provide technical inputs for the development of working papers, guidelines, tools, strategy, and policies related the SAP.
- Advise on project development and implementation to maximize impact and to uphold programme relevance;
- Network with SAP clients and partners to build a solid support base for transformational projects sustaining programme assessment, development, and evolution;
- Coordinate and negotiate with relevant external stakeholders as they access the Fund’s investment resources trough the SAP.
- Optimize approaches for SAP and build consistency in SAP programme outputs, implementation and assessment while introducing adaptive measures that support the effectiveness of the SAP, especially for DAEs in SIDS, LDCs and African states;
- Devise tools and processes to evolve SAP review efficiency and responsiveness; and
- Coordinate corporate and team activities and managing consultants, interns, and other GCF staff as necessary.
Required experience and qualifications
- Masters’ degree in Forest and Land Use management, climate, environmental engineering/science, resource economics, sustainable development, or related fields;or a Bachelor’s degree with 2 additional years of experience, above the minimum.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant work experience;
- Experience in all the cycle of project and programme management including monitoring and evaluation; experience with climate change projects in developing countries;
- Understanding of climate finance, broadly in both public and private sector;
- Experience in working with national governments and agencies on climate change and international organizations including GCF or other climate funds;
- Experience in project finance from public and private sectors;
- Experience in working in developing countries;
- Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders, communicate at various levels and maintain good working relationships;
- Good teamwork, proactive and can-do attitude, and ability to act as a team leader when required;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills; and
- Fluency in English ; knowledge of another United Nations language is an advantage.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.greenclimate.fund.