International Medical Corps
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION (BACKGROUND)
IMC is implementing projects in more than 70 woredas in seven regions—Afar, Amhara, Gambella, Oromia, Somali, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples’ Region (SNNPR), and Tigray—providing support through livelihoods, WASH, nutrition, Health, and Protection services for host communities and refugees.
JOB DESCRIPTION *
JOB SUMMARY: The Response Head, Emergency Response Team (ERT) will work closely with the Country Director to devise response strategy based on the available information and assessments reports. He/she, hereafter referred to as he, will provide strategic leadership to the emergency team to implement contextualized emergency response plan based on the assessment reports and the available resources. He will direct an initial assessment, outline needs and provide overall strategic leadership to the International Medical Corps team including fiduciary planning, human resource management, and develop project proposals and program designs with the support of various functions within the organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation:
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Business Development
- Lead the exploratory team in conducting rapid assessment in areas of concern and presenting the findings and recommendations to the senior management team in Sudan and HQ.
- Prioritize programmatic needs and develop quality proposal by working closely with the country team in Sudan.
- Map key areas of intervention and develop close coordination with local and international actors working in the region.
- Closely follow the context and include necessary adaptations to the strategy as and when needed.
- Provide strategic guidance to the implementation of IMC program
- Lead work plan development and coordinate input from staff and counterparts
- Oversee the implementation of the activities in the region and ensure compliance with the regulations of the government bodies.
- Ensure high-quality performance and integrity standards in compliance with International Medical Corps policies and regulations
- Report to International Medical Corps senior management project and donors the achievements and results of the response
- Establish systems for maintaining an overview of all staff activity
- Represent International Medical Corps to Local & National Authorities, international donors, international and national NGOs.
- Develop good working relationships with all stakeholders including MOH, UN and as well as local authorities and federal agencies
- Liaise with appropriate departments within IMC as needed, and ensuring required reporting are submitted on time
- Ensure that appropriate logistic, administrative and financial structures and procedures appropriate for program are established and / or maintained in accordance with IMC
- Develop and submit program reporting on timely manners according to International Medical Corps and Donor requirement
- Ensure application and compliance of security protocols and policies
- Serve as the focal point for Health and Safety and will be responsible for any Risk or Security Assessments
- Serve as the Safeguarding focal point
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct, maintain humanitarian principles and respect international humanitarian law at all times.
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed in this document are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive.
Code of Conduct As applicable to this position, an individual must promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout the organization and maintain a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
If this is a supervisory position, one must set an example of ethical behavior through one’s own conduct and oversight of the work of others; ensure that those who report to you have sufficient knowledge and resources to follow the standards outlined in the Code of Conduct & Ethics; monitor compliance of the people you supervise; enforce the Code of Conduct & Ethics and International Medical Corps’ policies, including the Safeguarding Policy and the Protection from Harassment, Bullying and Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy, consistently and fairly; support employees who in good faith raise questions or concerns.
Safeguarding It is all staff shared responsibility and obligation to safeguard and protect populations with whom we work, including adults who may be particularly vulnerable and children. This includes safeguarding from the following conduct by our staff or partners: sexual exploitation and abuse; exploitation, neglect, or abuse of children, adults at risk, or LGBTI individuals; and any form of trafficking in persons. Staff are also responsible for preventing violations to our Code of Conduct and Ethics, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any violations to the Code of Conduct and Ethics or Safeguarding Policy, you have an obligation to report.
Equal Opportunities International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
JOB REQUIREMENTS *
- Typically, a Master’s degree in Disaster management or Public Health, Medical Doctor preferred. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- Typically, 10+ years of relevant and progressive experience in development or humanitarian emergency response field, with increasing responsibilities including at least 5 years in similar management position in an INGO environment
- Project management experience in a developing country or similar context including responsibility for budget control, strategy, human resources and planning
- Pedagogical Skills are an asset
- Experience in effectively dealing with hospital management and headquarters staff, as well as donor agencies, and government officials
- Proven capabilities in leadership
- People management
- Commitment to Humanitarian Principles
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Result and quality orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Excellent self-motivation skills
- Ability to relate to and motivate staff effectively
- Ability to work with a broad range of people
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and make medical decisions affecting the standard of care independently
- Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources
- Excellent decision-making skills
- Skills and knowledge in program sustainability and capacity building, public-private partnerships and project monitoring and evaluation (both quantitative and qualitative methods)
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Computer literacy
- Ability to read, write, analyze and interpret, technical and non-technical information in the English language
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required; fluency in Spanish, French or, Arabic is desirable
- Ability to travel, and live in remote area and insecure location
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL OR LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Misconduct Disclosure Scheme
All offers of employment at International Medical Corps are subject to satisfactory references and background checks. International Medical Corps participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme from the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response (SCHR). In accordance with this, we will request information from an applicant’s previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply
To apply for this job please visit internationalmedicalcorps.hua.hrsmart.com.