World Bank Group
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises.
The Europe and South Caucasus Infrastructure unit is an open and dynamic team, which develops, advises, structures and invests in infrastructures across a number of sectors including power, transportation, telecom, technology, urban infrastructure and utilities. We are expanding our geographic footprint and business and for this purpose are looking for a Senior Investment Officer to join our team and lead our business activities in the South Caucasus.
The selected candidate will be based in Tbilisi, Georgia, and serve as geographic lead for the sub-region, shaping our business in the sub-region across the business cycle (business development, “upstream”, new investments, and portfolio). In addition, as a member of our senior IO cadre, the candidate will have opportunities to supervise and mentor junior staff and lead transactions across the entire region.
Role & Responsibilities:
The role and responsibilities of the position will include but not be limited to:
- Serve as geographic lead for the South Caucasus, coordinating the infrastructure business development activities in the sub-region and developing a strong pipeline of investments by anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge.
- Lead “upstream” initiatives to create a pipeline of future investments for IFC by spotting emerging opportunities for private investment and converting them into bankable projects through technical assistance and co-development of projects.
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex transactions.
- Lead negotiation/documentation teams; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in straightforward and complex transactions.
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, portfolio restructurings, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
- Work closely with the country managers and officers – joint work to include developing client, country and sector strategies.
- Coordinate with World Bank colleagues on country strategy and apply the Cascade principles to create opportunities for investments for the private sector.
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and advisory colleagues to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities.
- Supervise and mentor more junior team members.
- Master’s degree or equivalent professional qualification in Business, Finance, Economics, or other relevant field.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in infrastructure project investment and financing activities. Prior experience in IFC/World Bank operational countries in Eastern Europe and the South Caucasus is a plus.
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials.
- Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values.
- Understanding of IFC’s strategic priorities and changing business model against the backdrop of IFC’s 3.0 strategy.
- Capacity to innovate and challenge the status quo. Proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments in infrastructure sectors.
- Strong understanding of infrastructure sectors, such as power, transportation, utilities, natural resources, telecoms, technology.
- Experience engaging with private sector clients, local and national governments and other stakeholders to encourage pioneering business and market development will be a plus.
- Regional knowledge of countries and understanding of infrastructure challenges faced by countries within the region will be a plus.
- Strong business development and client relationship skills demonstrated by track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively.
- Excellent people skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, openness to feedback, new ideas, and ability to guide, and motivate others.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English required. Russian and other regional languages skills strongly desired.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.