The purpose of Afghanistan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Activity (AMELA) is to provide monitoring, evaluation, and learning support services/assistance to strengthen the implementation of USAID development programs in Afghanistan, and to build the technical M&E knowledge and skills of USAID/Afghanistan Mission staff and stakeholders. The services provided under AMELA will contribute to supporting USAID/Afghanistan as an effective development organization with strong learning and adaptive management processes.
**Please note: Only Afghanistan citizens are eligible for this position.**
The Senior Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist will play a critical role in managing evaluations, assessments and other tasks assigned to the AMELA Evaluation Team. Assisting the Senior Evaluation Team Lead, and the Deputy Evaluation Team Lead, the Specialist will be expected to work closely with a variety of stakeholders to ensure that the quality of deliverables adhere to the scopes of work (SOWs), and to the standards set forth in ADS 201. The Specialist will be responsible for “taking ownership” for the efficient and successful accomplishment of task. This position is full-time employment with a year contract either based in Kabul or conducted remotely, with potential travel to Afghanistan.
- Assist Senior M&E Management Team in supervising evaluations and/or project management.
- Assist Senior M&E Management Team in training of AMELA M&E Specialists.
- Provide inputs to AMELA M&E Specialists on best practices for evaluation project management.
- Assist in development of data management processes with AMELA data management team.
- Manage project evaluation and task teams along each phase of the task cycle, including conceptualization and client engagement, recruitment, task design, data collection, data evaluation, and report drafting.
- Take notes for all meetings involving key external stakeholders.
- Assist in the drafting of SOWs and assignment work plans (AWP).
- Onboard STTA and M&E staff.
- Help STTA and M&E staff understand the practical implications of their SOW.
- Assist the Evaluation Team Leads and consultants to draft, test, and finalize study tools and instruments.
- Manage data collection teams, including coordinating travel, transport, and accommodation, ensure implementation of SOW and AWPs, assist with stakeholder engagement, and troubleshooting as needed.
- Contribute to the examination of data and drafting of findings and recommendations.
- Guide team planning meetings and evaluation workshops as needed.
- Contribute to report drafting as needed.
- Train in cross-cutting monitoring techniques.
- Provide technical support to the AMELA Component 2 monitoring team as needed.
- Provide technical stewarship in coordination with the Evaluation Team Leads and M&E Senior Management.
- Other duties as specified by project management.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in international relations, economics, statistics, public policy, research method, program assessment, business management, or another relevant field.
- Minimum of seven years relevant experience required.
- Experience in managing the evaluation needs and activities associated with development projects in complex environments, ideally including Afghanistan.
- Knowledge of USAID performance monitoring and evaluation guidelines and rules (ADS 203).
- Ability to visit project sites throughout Afghanistan based on business need.
- Strong writing and communications skills in English and working knowledge of local language required.
MSI is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We strive to develop and maintain a culture that honors the perspectives and identities of our employees, our communities and those impacted by our work.
We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
MSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Americans with Disabilities/Veterans Employer.
MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please visit Tetra Tech’s Disability Assistance Page. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
Management Systems International (MSI), a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area management consultancy with a 40-year history of delivering results for our clients. Our expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation; democracy and governance; peace and stability; rule of law and accountability; education; gender and inclusion; strategic communications; and leadership and organizational development. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Colombia, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Syria and Ukraine, and works domestically. We support clients ranging from the U.S. Government (e.g., the U.S. Agency for International Development, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Departments of State and Labor, and the Millennium Challenge Corporation) to large bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g., the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program). We also work with national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.