Website Pacific Community
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The vision of the Educational Quality and Assessment Programme (EQAP) is to be ‘The agency for educational quality in the Pacific region’. Its mission is to enhance the quality of education and training for Pacific learners, so they realize the benefits of lifelong learning. EQAP seeks to promote the following core values within the context of SPC’s corporate values:
- a culture of quality;
- a culture of continuous improvement;
- cultural and political sensitivity;
- respect for the autonomy and priorities of the education system in each Pacific Island country and territory (PICTs); and
- assimilation of the expressed needs of countries in its delivery of technical services
Through the direct support of professional services provided by the Professional Officers and the EQAP Director, the Senior Programme Assistant will manage and monitor administrative responsibilities that contribute to successful achievement of outcomes for the various sections in EQAP.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Data verification and quality assurance
- Coordination of collection on student assessment data, teacher appraisal data, scholarships application data etc
- Verify data for accuracy and integrity, on collection and reporting
- Support with management of clients and partners and annual work planning
- Manage and troubleshoot workflows
- Liaise with multiple stakeholders to ensure adherence to timelines
- Provide logistical support for programme activities, in terms of travel and accommodation logistics for Pos and participants
- Coordinate the workflow of the PILNA materials cycle
- Communicate with focal points in various countries and staff of SPC
- Communicate with stakeholders to ensure the production of quality PILNA materials
- Financial Operations Support
- Assist EQAP Finance in raising Purchase Orders in Navision for all expenses
- Organize procurement of quotations, stationery and provision of payments
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as information systems, administration or business management/commerce from a recognized institution
Knowledge and experience
- At least 3 years of experience working in the area of administration and/or management preferably in an area of education
- Experience in analyzing and synthesizing information for meaningful reporting
- Demonstrated capacity in negotiating with individuals from different ethnic, cultural and educational backgrounds
- Excellent PC-based computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Demonstrated organizational skills with ability to prioritize workload and complete work under deadlines
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – 30 June 2025 – subject to renewal depending on funding and performance
Remuneration – The Senior Programme Assistant-Large Scale Assessment is Band 7 position in SPC’s 2022 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 2,232-2,790 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
How to apply
Closing Date – 25 May 2022 at 11:59pm (Fiji time)
Job Reference: J000044
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
Screening Questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Describe an example of when you were responsible for organising a large event. How did you organise and schedule the tasks? Was the event successful? If so, how did you know? Is there anything that you would have done differently?
- Please describe your experience in travel and logistics management/administration for regional and national workshops and identify three lessons learned.
- Please describe your experience in project management and preparing reports and communication materials?
To apply for this job please visit careers.spc.int.