Waste and circular economy will lead the implementation of all in-country activities under the ASEAN Korea cooperation project in “Integrated Municipal Solid Waste Management project for environmentally sustainable cities” and other MSWM-related projects under the country program. The Sr. Investment Officer will work with the country team and develop projects/seed ideas and develop the waste-related activities of GGGI in the country and regionally.
- Support the management and implementation of the captioned project. Including program design, development, staffing, technical direction, financial management, project monitoring and evaluation, donor/government/GGGI reporting, etc.
- Lead the in-country investment operations under the project, including project activities, and be responsible for fostering relationships with national/sub-national level stakeholders involved in MSWM and the sanitation sector.
- Lead and contribute to the implementation and development of waste (solid and liquid) and circular economy-related projects under the country program.
- Ensure synergy of the project activities with objectives and priorities of the national government and ensure effective coordination of project activities and outputs at a national level.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary team of staff members, consultants, firms, and consortium partners towards effective project implementation.
- Develop and originate opportunities for green investments and resource mobilization in the waste, sanitation, and circular economy space in the country and regionally.
- Lead the technical feasibility study of the identified projects and mobilize investments both from public and private entities.
- Prepare investment documentations, including investment briefs, memos, presentations, financial models, and scenario analysis.
- Lead the day-to-day project activities of the captioned project and other MSWM-related projects in country
- Manage the engagement with national-level stakeholders, development partners, investors and private sector entities involved in waste, sanitation, and circular economy in the country.
- Engage financial institutions and commercial lenders in the development of projects to ensure that the initiatives projects adequately represent their vision, interests, criteria, and objectives.
- Support the national-level stakeholders in developing projects, conducting a feasibility study, and developing project proposals.
- Work with consortium partners the Green Technology Center, Nanyang Technology University, and the Korea Environment Corporation towards the implementation of in-country activities.
- Formulate and facilitate the project steering committee and project implementation unit at the country level.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with development partners, investors and private sector entities involved in the waste sector to ensure that the project activities and country programs are able to respond to the evolving landscape of the sector.
- Coordinate with other GGGI departments (legal, HR, Procurement, etc.) to ensure high-quality delivery and delivery within the rules and regulations of GGGI.
- Actively work with the country team and contribute towards the development of project ideas, proposals, deliverables, knowledge products, and resource mobilization efforts.
- Plan and implement project activities consistent with the project objectives engaging the project team, consortium partners, country team, and other stakeholders.
- Lead the drafting and development of the policy document at the country level on the ASEAN Municipal Solid Waste Management Strategy 2030.
- Identify and develop a list of green investment projects in the waste, sanitation, and circular economy space
- Lead conducting a pre-feasibility study on identified investment projects and designing a financial structure for investment mobilization
- Produce high quality investment documentation, including business case development and financial modeling
- Engage with public and private financial institutions to mobilize investment for projects in the waste and sanitation sector.
- Advise the country team on investment pipeline development and project structures and coordinate the conduct of feasibility studies/project development activities on waste & sanitation in the country.
- Promote the deliverables and outputs under the project and engage with beneficiaries and stakeholders to ensure sufficient adoption at the country level.
- Management and delivery of the waste and sanitation-related activities at the sub-national level
- Adapt the project activities and project implementation process to ensure that the project outcomes align with government priorities.
- Develop knowledge products and ensure that experiences and best practices are documented and shared across the project teams and stakeholders.
- Facilitate and support the GGGI country team in ideating and developing projects/proposals in the waste and sanitation sector.
- A master’s degree in finance, accounting, business management or economics. Relevant financial certifications such as CFA will be an added advantage.
- At least 8 years of experience in direct investments, identification, design and management of urban, waste, sanitation, and circular economy or similar projects in developing countries is essential.
- Proven experience in climate finance and green investment mobilization is essential.
- Solid understanding of various financial products, debt/equity instruments being used in the sector.
- Proven experiences in policy development (strategies and guidelines), conducting pre-feasibility studies in the waste and sanitation sector.
- Proven experience in managing multicultural and remote teams.
- Experience in building productive working relationships with team members, development partners, government stakeholders, private sector partners, technology service providers, donors, and other private sector partners.
- Fluency in the English Language – speaking, reading, and writing.
- Experience in developing capacity-building programs, familiarity with MSW and other circular economy related technologies, appropriateness, and applicability in the ASEAN context.
- Good understanding of challenges of MSWM sector in country / regional context.
- Strategic thinker and solutions-oriented manager with good ability to multitask and work in a matrix environment.
- Detail-oriented striving for quality and consistency in all outputs and communications.
- Able to perform analysis of management and administrative matters in tandem and under time constraints.
- Client-oriented, demonstrating creativity, innovation and an entrepreneurial drive.
- Highly organized and able to effectively and efficiently deliver high-quality deliverables.
- Excellent organizational and management understanding and demonstrated experience with successful mainstreaming of safeguards, gender, poverty reduction, and social inclusion.
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects supported and/or implemented by international and local consultants.
- Proven and strong reporting skills as reporting requirements are significant within this position.
- Experience in policy formulation, capacity building, and multi-stakeholder engagement within the technical areas
- Good knowledge in monitoring and evaluation systems within a performance-based management context.
- Understanding of green (climate) financing is an advantage
- Understand and actively supports GGGI’s mission, vision, and values.
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect, and partnership.
- Excels at problem-solving, asks questions and seeks support when needed, and shares easily information and knowledge with others both internally as externally.
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolve conflict easily.
- Strong ability to work independently and/or remotely while maintaining productivity.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as “green growth”, which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
- GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
- GGGI is partnering with the Green Technology Center of Korea, Nanyang Technology University, and Korea Environment Corporation in implementing an ASEAN – Korea cooperation regional project on advancing cooperation in “Integrated Municipal Solid Waste Management IMSWM) for environmentally sustainable cities” in all ASEAN member states. The project aims to assist the ASEAN member states in moving towards a model of resource-efficient, a circular society with enhanced national and local capacity to implement integrated solid waste management practices and catalyze investments in waste-related projects by 2025.
- The project involves the development of IMSWM profiles for each member state and a 2030 waste strategy and IMSWM guidelines for use by the local authorities. The project also aims to develop an investment pipeline with concept notes for critical IMWSM projects and support in mobilizing additional resources for further development and implementation of the projects. The project will further develop a regional coordination and knowledge-sharing platform and facilitate knowledge exchange and capacity building between Korea and ASEAN member states. Overall, the project aims to facilitate the transfer of Korean and other best practices and private sector involvement to other ASEAN member states to adopt IMSWM and circular economy models.
- The chosen candidate is expected to be based in either Cambodia, Thailand, or the Philippines and will have dual reporting lines, the respective Country Representative in the country of duty station as well as the Waste and Circular Economy Program Lead.
- For more information on GGGI’s terms and conditions (allowances, health care, education, etc.), please familiarize yourself with GGGI’s Rules and Regulations, which can be found here: https://gggi.org/policy-documents/.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
To apply for this job please visit careers.gggi.org.