Website FHI 360
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender equality, youth, research, technology, communication, and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development and humanitarian challenge in more than 70 countries. FHI 360’s Crisis Response team is responding to the humanitarian emergency in the Northern Ethiopia through an integrated health, nutrition, WASH, and Protection program focused on decreasing morbidity and mortality among the conflict-affected population.
Under supervision of the WASH Coordinator, the Senior WASH Officer is responsible for supporting all scale-up of WASH activities in FHI 360 implementation areas in Tigray region. The Senior WASH Officer will be responsible for providing technical guidance to the field WASH team under his duty areas of assignment and ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate international standards and Ministry of Health guidelines.
- Support the WASH Coordinator in facilitating the process of establishing smooth and fulfilling work relationships with host government offices and their implementing arms.
- Ensure a timely startup of planned WASH undertakings in the upcoming project.
- Assist the WASH Coordinator and technically support the WASH officers in the design, implementation and oversight of all PHE and PHP undertakings of the overall WASH responses.
- Assist the WASH Coordinator in the oversight of all WASH related construction undertakings.
- Represent FHI 360 at various levels of WASH platforms including the WASH Cluster and its technical working groups.
- Deputize the WASH Coordinator and/or WASH Officers during their absence.
- Support the WASH Coordinator in facilitating the process of establishing smooth and fulfilling work relationships with line government offices and their implementing arms.
- Work closely with other FHI 360 units – including health and nutrition, logistics and finance, HR and administration – to ensure programmatic integrations, effectiveness, efficiency and compliance.
- Draft design bills of quantities, specifications, and cost estimates for proposed public health engineering interventions
- Draft internal and external reports in English at required intervals.
- Ensure a timely startup and scale up of planned WASH undertakings in Tigray region.
- Guide and support WASH Officers and WASH assistants to discharge their duties
- Identify infrastructural and IPC problems within health facility settings and come up with technical and financial propositions of how they can be fixed.
- Identify WASH needs within target communities, including identification of water systems, analyzing dysfunctionalities and coming up with technical and financial proposition of how the systems can be restored
- Participate and lead technical assessments as required – including KAP surveys and detailed damage status assessments. Prepare relevant reports and ensure good documentations are in place, including pictorial reports that will inform FHI 360’s humanitarian efforts.
- Take the lead and support WASH officers to prepare detailed procurement, supply, and spending plans for identified WASH PHE&PHP undertakings.
- Ensure effective follow up while tracking the spending’s against the plan to ensure they are implemented within the budget frame and in compliance with FHI 360 and donor requirements.
- Supervise and produce progress reports on implementation of planned basic rehabilitations and infrastructural improvements at IDPs, community and inside health facilities.
- Supervise and technically lead the Field WASH Officers and Assistants/Engineers/PHPs
- Support and coordinate with zonal local and other government authorities.
- Support and guide field assistants, contractors, skilled and unskilled labors and volunteers in closely and daily following up WASH related interventions implementation to meet the anticipated quality standards.
- Support in processing relevant written external communications as required.
- Any additional tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Moderate knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures by providing technical support for research studies.
- Development of scope of work and deliverables for partners, consultants, etc.
- Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools required.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Ability to solve problems and implement corrective action as needed.
There are 31 FHI 360 development competencies, of greatest focus for this particular job will be:
- Project Management (Planning and Time Management) – Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks (sets objectives/goals/measures). Breaks down work into steps, schedules, task/people assignments. Marshals people, time, and resource efficiently. Arranges information in a useful manner and orchestrates multiple activities at once.
- People Management (Making Others Great) – Facilitate professional development of staff by providing challenging, learning assignments and opportunities. Shares and solicits feedback monthly at the very least. Helps establish compelling development plans. Assigns responsibility and accountability for tasks/decisions. Monitors process, progress, and results. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best.
- Creating and Managing Systems and Processes – Recognizes the need for standardization and balances client and organization need in systems design. Anticipates the effects of process change on people while optimizing task efficiency and simplicity.
- Employees are expected to possess or have high potential for development of these three fundamental competencies.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of moderate to complex scope that require review of various factors.
- Exercises good judgment with selecting methods and techniques to determine appropriate action.
- Decisions may cause delays and affect a work unit or area within a department.
- Identifies and raises issues to senior technical staff
- Networks with key internal and external personnel.
- Decision may cause delays or failure to achieve results that impact departmental goals.
- Has supervisory responsibility.
- Receives methods and procedures on new projects and assignments.
- May provide guidance to other lower-level staff.
- Typically reports to WASH Coordinator.
- Associate degree (for those with 7-years’ experience) and degree (for those with 5-years’ experience) in public health, environmental studies Or in Civil, mechanical, sanitary, or hydraulic engineering or construction management fields.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in humanitarian response projects – preferably with INGOs.
- Hands on experience designing, implementing, and managing WASH programs with focus on public health engineering and public health promotion in humanitarian settings.
- Experience preparing, evaluating construction bids, managing payment claims, supervising sites.
- Good understanding of the laws and practices within Ethiopia regarding construction, contract management, standards, etc.
- Knowledge of engineering soft wares including Autocad, Watercad and EPHanet is an asset.
- Experience conducting rapid needs assessments; baseline assessments, etc. a plus.
- Sound understanding of the socio-economic and political situation in the working region.
- Experience representing employer at relevant platforms and liaising with key stakeholders.
- Willing to travel frequently and for extended period of time to FHI 360 operational locations.
- Good understanding of the UN Cluster System; international and national minimum standards
- Fluent in French, excellent in English and strong knowledge of local languages
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer/Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- 10% – 25%
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employerwhereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected].