Website National Democratic Institute
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is currently seeking candidates for a 3-month temporary project assistant position with a possible 3-month extension based on performance. The position is with NDI’s Central and West Africa (CEWA) team. There are multiple openings for this position. Some require fluency in French, and others do not require but have a preference for French. The project assistant will be responsible for assisting with the implementation of democratic development programs in Anglophone and Francophone countries in the region through the following assignments:
- Assist with program logistics, including arrangements for airfare, hotel, visas, meeting schedules, and briefing books for traveling NDI staff, consultants, and delegations;
- Collect and distribute foreign and domestic newspaper, magazine, and/or academic articles pertaining to Central and West African affairs;
- Review and summarize documents and information from subgrantees;
- Document translation between French and English;
- Provide administrative support on assigned country programs, including filing, faxing, copying, and mailing;
- Assist in researching and drafting periodic reports on NDI programs;
- Attend events and lectures on Central and West Africa and provide written summaries to team members;
- Attend NDI events and program meetings and provide minutes to team members;
- Review documentation of field office expenditures;
- Assist in organizing document archives of NDI programs in the CEWA region; and
- Complete special projects as requested.
- A bachelor’s degree or pursuing a graduate degree, or a recent graduate of such a program (relevant degree programs might include, but are not limited to: African studies, international development, international relations, or political science);
- Some knowledge of Central and West Africa and an interest in learning more;
- High degree of organization, attention to detail, and skill at prioritizing and managing multiple tasks;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel and Google applications;
- There are multiple openings for this position. Some require fluency in French is required, and others do not require but have a preference for French proficiency;
- Availability to work 40 hours/week for six months.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
To comply with tax and legal obligations, all candidates for DC-based positions must reside in Maryland, DC or Virginia. While there may be flexibility for remote/hybrid work environments, candidates must be residents of MD, DC or VA or relocate prior to the start of employment at NDI.
How to apply
To apply for this job please visit ndi.secure.force.com.