Website United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO)
Result of ServiceTimely production of high-quality translations that accurately reflect the nuances of source texts.
Expected durationThe individual contract services will be for 6 months with possibility of extension up to 9 months.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesWithin delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Associate Field Translator, the Individual Contractor will undertake the following tasks:
• Translates from Spanish to English and vice versa, subject to revision, a variety of texts covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by the United Nations, i.e., political, social, legal, economic, financial, administrative, medical, and technical, meeting established workload and quality standards, while integrating a gender perspective, especially in relation to gender sensitive use of language.
• Uses United Nations terminology and style consistently and accurately.
• Solves translation/editorial issues (i.e., clarification on ambiguities, technical meanings, etc.) in consultation with the Associate Field Translator.
• Observes the established terminology and usage and ensures consistency with other translators working on similar documents.
• Uses all sources of reference, information, and consultation relevant to the text at hand and carries out any research required.
• Has proven experience rendering translation using TRADOS.
• Makes effective use of relevant language technologies and tools.
• Maintains strict security and confidentiality of information.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications/special skillsAcademic Qualifications: A first-level university degree in languages (English and Spanish) or translation
Scientific, technical or legal studies will be considered an asset as well as further translation studies or certifications.
Proof of knowledge of TRADOS (Certifications / relevant work experience)
Experience: A minimum of 3years of proven experience in translation in the fields above mentioned.
Experience in the use of standard computer-assisted-translation (CAT) tools is required.
Experience working within the United Nations or a similar international organization is desirable.
Experience with a broad range of subjects dealt with by the United Nations is desirable.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. Perfect command of Spanish and English (oral and written) is required.
No FeeTHE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
To apply for this job please visit careers.un.org.