SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that makes a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty by helping them raise incomes and access basic services. We focus on three sectors – agriculture, energy, and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) – and have a long-term, local presence in 24 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our team of just over 1,300 people is the backbone of SNV.
We apply our practical know-how to deliver results at scale. Driven by the Sustainable Development Goals, we are dedicated to a society in which all people are free to pursue their own sustainable development, and no one is left behind. This commitment to equity directs us to focus on gender and youth. By connecting our global expertise with our extensive and longstanding in-country experiences, we help realise locally-owned solutions.
Our services include advice, brokering and stakeholder engagement, advocacy, fund management, results-based financing, and delegated management.
We realise our impact through direct results and systems change. Our projects directly benefit millions of people and drive systems change – strengthening institutions and kickstarting markets to help many more people work their way out of poverty, well beyond the scope of projects.
We are committed to operational excellence and are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation, implementing our mission exclusively through project financing. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence every day.
Through its water sector, SNV’s aims to contribute to improving water security for all, namely the reliable availability of an acceptable quantity and quality of water for health, livelihoods, ecosystems and production, coupled with an acceptable level of water-related risks. Under the water sector SNV supports sustainable and inclusive water uses for domestic and productive proposes, sanitation, pollution and waste management, as well as an urban integrated water cycle approach and water resource management.
The work in the water sector touches upon three human rights: the human right to water and sanitation, and the human right to a clean, healthy and sustainable environment. Governments are the duty-bearers of progressive realisation of these rights in their areas. Therefore SNV works with governments to develop and implement sustainable water governance systems which engage private sector and civil society in a way that rights for all are realised, even for those areas that are less profitable or have less political weight.
SNV has a track record in facilitating structural change at different levels (national, sub-national, local), bringing together relevant stakeholders and creating conditions for change at scale. Our work is evidence based and promotes learning among peers in and across countries. Gender equality, social inclusion, and climate resilience are universal themes across all our work.
In Bangladesh, SNV has been operating since 2006. Our long-term presence continues to provide the country programme with a sound understanding of the local context and ensure that we are aligned with the national development priorities of the country. Since 2013 we have been working on city-wide urban sanitation and hygiene through multiple programmes in 6 cities. In these we are strengthening the service chain, treatment and re-use, governance and regulation, behavioural change interventions, as well as finance and investment. We are supporting the cities to develop effective public-private partnerships with the required oversight. We also contribute to national dialogue and development of the sub-sector.
Going forward, we are broadening our approach to an urban water cycle, including water supply, sanitation, solid waste, grey water, storm water and floods and droughts. Moreover, we are scaling our work on city-wide sanitation and solid waste towards other regions and more towns and cities, developing the right public-private partnership models and enhancing their performance. More about our Bangladesh urban sanitation and hygiene interventions.
Overview of the position
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and proven professional who will work with the country team in Bangladesh to further build on SNV’s Water programmes. We encourage passionate professionals looking to influence the sector. Under guidance of the global sector head, developing the transition from WASH to a broader WATER sector in the country.
The key roles for the Water Sector Leader :
1) Responsible for the overall supervision and management of Water portfolio, steering the quality of technical advisory services, and ensuring an alignment with SNV’s approaches;
2) Lead the identification and development of business opportunities for the Water sector and future water sector in the country.
3) Responsible for building and maintaining relations in-country with National Government, donors, and other organisations of the sector;
4) Enhance the quality and visibility of our Water programme and position SNV within the (inter) national Water sector;
5) Assumes the role of in-country Program Manager for the WASH SDGs Programme and potentially new portfolio for the sector.
The WASH Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the WASH global sector team.
- Strategic Leadership: develop country level water sector strategy aligned to corporate water sector frameworks;
- Advisory Services: lead complex assignments, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality of advisory services of the water sector team;
- Programme Management: deliver effective development results, planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
- Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative water sector programmes;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors, partners and consultants;
- Relationship Management: ensure cordial relationships with variety of partners connecting different processes in a competitive market and identify strategic alliances and networks to invest in;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of water programmes in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Knowledge management: Facilitate learning, documentation and evidence based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners;
- Contribute to SNV as a member of the Country Management Team.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant technical field
- 7+ years of relevant experience in urban sanitation or a water sector-related field in urban contexts including at least 5 years in a management role, preferably in Asia;
- Experience in institutional development and systems strengthening in urban WASH and preferably one other water (sub-)sector, beyond the community level
- Experience with development and performance strengthening of public-private partnerships in urban service delivery
- A sound understanding of SDG 6, in particular in relation to the needs of women, girls and other vulnerable groups
- Understanding of climate change adaptation and mitigation in the broader water and WASH sector
- International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting
- Demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects
- Interest to collaborate, contribute to and learn from peers in SNV’s global water sector network
- Analytical capacity and writing skills
- Proficiency in English speaking, reading and writing required
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
Reports to: Country Director
Contract Duration: 2 years
Contract Type: International
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Information Duty Station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Travel to Projects: In-country approximately 20% (Covid permitting)
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation indicating salary expectations by clicking on the “I’m interested” button by 10th October 2022.
We will require that you provide us with the full details of two people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
All information will be in the strictest confidence.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
How to apply
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.