ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews is an international media support organization that believes everyone deserves trustworthy news and information to make informed decisions about their lives and hold power to account.
Internews currently operates in Zambia and seeks a Programs Manager for the Open Spaces media project. The Programs Manager will support the Organization in all aspects of program management and implementation at a strategic level and at an operational level. They will be responsible for the oversight of program activities, reporting, and sub-grants. They will support the project on technical issues, programs management and operations in response to project needs. The Programs Manager will also ensure timely delivery of activities, quality control, and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance.
Internews has a field office in Lusaka, Zambia. Ultimately, this role will be based in Lusaka, Zambia.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply soon. The preference is to fill this position as an internal hire within Internews.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Develop and maintain a keen understanding of the media in Zambia.
- Work with the project team and partners to design innovative strategies and activities that build the capacity of individual media outlets and media associations and strengthen the media and digital sectors holistically.
- Coordinate activity implementation with program staff including journalism training, media business training, sub-grant oversight, and policy advocacy.
- Ensure civil society and private sector are involved in all activities.
- Support clear internal and external communication in Zambia.Draft and revise activity reports, communications materials, social media posts and other program documents.
- Work in cooperation with the program staff to identify youth and women’s needs (e.g., media literacy) and strategies to address them.
- Supervise a team of experienced media advisors, media trainers, and consultants to deliver high quality media trainin and mentoring (online and offline) in strategic communications, campaign planning and delivery, and social media.
- Cultivate relationships with relevant local and international government actors, media, partners and agencies and represent the project to the Zambian government, the project funder, and other donors.
- Support the project and senior administrative and finance staff to ensure compliance with organizational and donor rules and regulations.
- Analyze project results and the implementation of successes.
- Develop plans for improvement/expansion of activities, as assigned.
- Additional assignments and initiatives as necessary or requested by the project lead and/or senior management.
- In all duties, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Extensive media development experience in Zambia and/or the SADC region, including working with media organizations, media associations, and providing senior program management. Familiarity with media business management and/or media law preferred.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects and proven ability to develop, implement, and monitor work plans, training plans, monitoring and evaluation plans, and procurements plans.
- 5 years of progressively responsible media and/or journalism practice in Zambia.
- Advanced degree (preferably Master’s or higher) in media studies, journalism, communication, social sciences, international development, or a related field.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets and strong knowledge of new media preferred.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff.
- Experience with USAID- and/or US government-funded programs strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, excellent written and spoken English.
- Proven management skills in an offline and online environment, including excellent time management skills.
- Solid experience with social media and analytic tools.
- Experience starting up new media businesses, testing new media and news dissemination tools.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.