Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO)
The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) is in charge of the European solidarity with people in need all around the world and aims to better coordination and disaster response inside and outside Europe. DG ECHO is based on the principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence. Every decision ECHO takes must be in accordance with these four principles which are at the heart of the European Consensus on Humanitarian Aid.
ECHO Country Office (CO) for Colombia, based in Bogota, is looking for a Programme Officer
Education: A relevant second level university degree or equivalent professional experience
Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrate a minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience at national or international level in managing programmes/ project operations, including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO, donor or national/ international organisation, and preferably in the Americas.
- Experience and knowledge on humanitarian assistance and protection to refugees and forcibly displaced people will be an asset
- Very good understanding of humanitarian aid principles, international humanitarian aid policies and standards.
- Very good knowledge of mandates and roles of international NGOs, UN aid agencies and Red Cross Movement.
- Excellent knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system.
- Excellent drafting skills.
- Excellent command of Office Software package (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet explorer, Outlook)
Languages: Excellent command of English and Spanish (oral and written).
Job description: The incumbent serves as Programme Officer in ECHO Country Office based in Bogota D.C. and carries out activities to contribute to the delivery of an effective humanitarian response in the region.
The job holder conducts assessments, develops strategies and represents ECHO when appropriate. The programme officer may be asked to run an office and supervise staff in the absence of a Technical Assistant or be in charge of regional overview tasks.
S/he prepares reports on the humanitarian situation in the country / region including any political, economic and security events relevant to the analysis of the humanitarian situation in the area of coverage.
The jobholder conduct need assessments, projects’ appraisal, monitors the adequate implementation. The position requires the availability for travelling inside and outside the country.
This position is open to nationals and other residents of Colombia with valid work and residence permits. The employment contract will be definite for 1 year, renewable.
DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunities. Our recruitment policy is based on respect for diversity, maintaining the gender balance, as well as the balance between professional and private life, and support for training and development opportunities.
The base salary offered corresponding to five year’ experience is COP 12 250 709 and will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional work experience supported by a work certificate from previous employers. i.e. with 10 years of work experience the salary would be COP 12 867 873.
Contracts will be ruled under the Colombia´s labor legislation.
The national staff members observe a Code of Conduct published on: https://ec.europa.eu/echo/who/about-echo/field-network_en
How to apply
How to apply, interested candidates should send:
- · A cover letter (maximum of 1 page) setting out the candidate’s motivation and suitability for the position.
- · A detailed Curriculum Vitae in English (only Europass CV Template will be accepted, which can be found at http://www.europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
- · Academic and employment certificates
- · Name, position, and contact number/details (telephone, e-mail) of three references, one of them being from the last employer.
- · A copy of the valid work and residence permit to live and work in Colombia (when available for non-Colombian candidates.
- · 3 references (including contact details of the HR department and the supervisor) that can be consulted by ECHO. At least one of the references has to include a recent employer.
To the email address [email protected] with the subject “**ECHO-VACANCY Programme Officer BOG**”. Applications must be received no later than April 18th, 2022.
Any processing of your personal data will be done in accordance with the applicable EU legislation (Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices, and agencies and on the free movement of such data. The privacy statement can be found on ECHO website https://ec.europa.eu/echo/sites/echosite/files/privacy_statement_recruitment_ns_final_version.pdf
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. NO INFORMATION WILL BE GIVEN BY PHONE. Any form of canvassing, soliciting, or influencing will be treated as disqualification.