Senior Construction Manager At TIG – The Icon Group South Africa
About the job
- Overall responsibility for site construction and pre-commissioning activities to ensure that construction and pre-commissioning activities are carried out safely in accordance with the design, drawings and quality plan for the project, and that the completed project meets the requirements of the client, the design, statutory authorities and specific project requirements.
- Ensure that all legal requirements are adhered to.
- Implement and direct the overall construction HSSE program and ensure strict adherence to statutory health and safety codes.
- Establish a culture on site where line management, represented by the Superintendents and Construction Supervisors, take direct responsibility for Health and Safety, supported by assigned the HSSE Advisors.
- Implement the required Lock-out, Tag-out System for working on energized plant, both during construction and during commissioning.
- In consultation with the Project Home Office and Client Risk Management, develop and implement a site security and emergency evacuation plan and coordinates the activities with the client and contractors.
- Ensure that contractors implement the Project Industrial Relations Plan, Project Labour Agreement and Project Wage Agreement as appropriate, and that labour is treated in a common and consistently fair manner. Coordinate the IR activities with the client, contractors and local community by establishing the required communication forums. Anticipate potential disputes and work stoppages and direct corrective action in terms of the relevant agreements, contracts, regulations and/or Acts.
- Consult the Project Manager on all major decisions regarding industrial relations, site security, safety and environment.
- Liaise with local government authorities in consultation with the Project identified responsible staff.
- Development of a public and community relations plan in consultation with identified Client responsible staff.
- Develop and maintain a relationship with the Client Operations Team and be the primary contact for communication on the construction site.
- Ensure Project policies and procedures are fully implemented. In consultation with the Project Manager, establish field procedures and objectives within corporate policies and procedures as necessitated by conditions at the site.
- Accountable for site establishment including, accommodation, transportation for both on and off site, site offices and furniture, ablutions, communication systems, banking, local suppliers and first aid medical facilities, etc. within the confines of the control budget.
- Participate in the recruitment process to ensure the construction and pre-commissioning management organization is composed of qualified and competent personnel and ensures effective personnel utilization. Monitor the performance of and supervise the construction management team in the execution of their responsibilities. Review proposed construction and site services contracts before award to determine compatibility with construction requirements, with particular emphasis on construction manpower requirements and plant and equipment.
- Ensure that the construction and site services contracts are executed strictly in compliance with the relevant terms and conditions and that no unauthorized work is carried out.
- Conduct constructability reviews to ensure that efficient construction methods are used to build the plant and monitor these methods with the aim of making them more efficient.
- Integrate the work of contractors and co-ordinate the operation of the construction site including the coordination of all actions of, subcontractors, suppliers, clients and their representatives.
- Coordinate the establishment of construction schedules, construction method statements, manning charts, material and equipment requirements, construction plant and equipment with the contractors
- including the 90-Day Rolling Horizon Look Ahead and ensure implementation and integration with the Project Master Schedule.
- Responsible for overall construction performance and continuously analyse performance for adherence to quality standards, cost and schedule.
- Monitor contractor’s compliance with cost, schedule, quality, environmental and safety objectives and ensure corrective action is taken when non – conformances are detected.
- Ensure that the Site Quality Management Plan is implemented and maintained.
- Establish a culture whereby line management, represented by the Superintendents and Construction Supervisors, take direct responsibility for the management of quality supported by the assigned QA/QC Coordinators.
- Manage construction support activities including Contract Administration, Cost Control, Site Procurement, Material & Equipment Control, Expediting, Site Administration and construction management staffing, including local employment contracts where appropriate.
- Implement and maintain an effective Site Materials Control Function, administration of the materials and equipment received on site, warehousing, laydown areas, safe keeping and issuing to contractors.
- Establish and implement a pre-commissioning and handover plan for the plant including as built drawings and pre-commissioning data as required by the Head Contract.
- Coordinate demobilisation of site contractors and Project staff including the sale or removal of materials and or equipment surplus to requirements in accordance with a pre – agreed procedure.
- Prepare and submit reports in a timely and professional manner.
- Accountable for construction management man-hours and other site expenses against the control budget.
- Prepare construction close out report.
- Arrange for the packing shipment of all historical information to Project Home Office
- B Tech Degree or National Diploma in an engineering discipline.
- Registered as a Professional Construction Manager with SACPCMP.
- Government Certificate of Competence, Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience working in remote African locations